Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ebay nss? Just bought one.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6, bored tb.
Default Ebay nss? Just bought one.

Okay so i just bought an ebay or atleast one off ebay neutral safety switch. My questioin is there anything i need to look out for or anything to expect? Thanks let me know
Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

ebay sensors (unless it is a known brand name) don't have a good reputation. A lot of cheap chinese parts that don't have great reliability and some don't even work out of the box. Some will work okay, but it's not worth the risk.

Generally, I advise people to not go that route. Worth the extra money to get a known name brand.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

You can clean and overhaul it yourself as well - I've covered that a few times, and writeups are extant.

If you still install the eBay NSS and it works, I'd like to try to talk you out of the old one. I'd like to accumulate a few to have around on an exchange basis to help people - I'd overhaul them and put them on the shelf until someone told me they'd need one. They'd send a deposit, I'd send the part, then I refund the deposit when I get their old one in rebuildable condition.

NB: When you remove the old NSS, do not prise against the collet nut! That almost invariably results in breakage. Preferred removal procedure:

- Using a wire wheel, clean the shift shaft before you remove the collet nut.
- Remove the collet nut and adjuster/retainer screw. The collet nut is only torqued to 5 pound-feet, the adjuster screw to 15 pound-feet. Both should unscrew easily.
- Using either a couple bits of flat bar stock steel (about 1" wide, and 1/8"-1/4" thick) or an "everted pliers" (I have no idea where I got mine, but you can find something similar on eBay if you search for a "cast spreader." Orthopaedists use it to split a cast after cutting a slit with a saw - the jaws slip into the gap and open up when the handles are squeezed. You'll get it for the NSS job, but they're handier than you'd first think,) work at the shift shaft between the NSS body and the transmission case. If you're using the two bits of flat stock, "wiggle" the NSS back and forth by alternately prising with the bars. The force of the cast spreader is focussed, and should break it loose almost immediately.
- Once the thing moves, it's yours - it will usually pull off with hand force.

Before you install the new NSS:
- Clean the rest of the shift shaft with the wire wheel in the drill motor. Clean it right up to the seal, but try to not gouge the seal lip proper.
- Paint the entire shaft with never-seez (believe me, it makes it easier to take the thing down next time.)
- Paint the inside of the collet on the NSS with never-seez as well.

You should be able to slip the new NSS on easily by hand. Butt it up against the transmission case as far as it will go - using a small piece of pipe, running it down the shift shaft, and gently tapping the collet usually does not go amiss.

Install the collet nut. Torque to not more than 62 pound-inches, or five pound-feet. Or, tighten it finger tight, and turn it one more "flat" (one-sixth turn) with a wrench. No more!

Loosely install the adjuster/retainer screw.

Block the wheels, set the handbrake, turn the key to ON (no need to start the engine,) and shift into reverse. Have a helper watch the reverse lights while you're under the truck.

Take a Sharpie pen (fine tip) with you when you go under this time. Move the NSS body to the limit of adjustment in one direction, then make a mark on the adjuster screw flange. Slowly move the NSS until the reverse lamps turn ON, make a matching mark on the NSS body. Continue moving the NSS in the same direction until the reverse lamps turn OFF, make another mark. Move the NSS so that you're in the middle of that range, then hold it while you torque the adjuster screw to 15 pound-feet.

Turn the key to OFF. Then, start the engine. It should readily start in Park - shut down and repeat the test in Neutral (foot on the brake.) Shift into Reverse one more time to make sure the reverse lamps come on.

If the engine starts in Park and Neutral, and the reverse lamps come on when you shift into Reverse, you've adjusted the NSS properly and you're done. Crate up the old one.

As I said, I'd like to try to talk you out of the old NSS so I can overhaul it and put it on the shelf for later exchange (I don't need it - I have a stick.) See the Parts Exchange page on my site (link in sig) to get an idea of what I'm trying to do. I don't want to make any money at it - I just want to help people.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l inline 6, bored tb.

Sounds good man I will let you know thanks for the info i have already boughtthe nss i will see if it works and let you know about mine. Again thanks