Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

DYING?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre
Default DYING?!?!

Ok I can not figure out why my XJ keeps draining the battery while it is turned off. While it's on and driving it's perfect. when I turn it off 1 hour later it's dead. 2 brand new batteries, alternator barely been used maybe 100 miles driven on the alternator.
Any suggestions....
Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I'd have the alternator checked, you might have got a defective one.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Check your grounds and connections from the alternator and battery, the alternator mount is tight and the drove belt is tight. Check the alternator wiring harness. Clean the battery cable ends.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ragged1
I'd have the alternator checked, you might have got a defective one.
+1

I had to go through 3 alternators in a week because they were defective. (after the third, I demanded my $$ back and bought one elsewhere)
Old 08-25-2011, 09:00 AM

advanced auto checked the alt and it was good.
While I drive and right when I turn my xj off the battery is fully charged.
If I turn my xj back on within 30-40 mins after turning it off it's fine but much longer then that and it dies.
I can turn it on and unplug my neg and it still runs and drives no prob.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Originally Posted by 89cherokeelimited
advanced auto checked the alt and it was good.
While I drive and right when I turn my xj off the battery is fully charged.
If I turn my xj back on within 30-40 mins after turning it off it's fine but much longer then that and it dies.
I can turn it on and unplug my neg and it still runs and drives no prob.

You have an 89... do you still have the cabling that originally came with it? My understanding is that in the earlier years there were XJ's that needed their alternator cable upgraded because the guage was too small. However... this problem only recently surfaced.

Maybe the cable is all corroded internally/melted the wiring from the inside and it's causing more resistance. It's a possibility since running a smaller guage, even only one size smaller, can make a cable run extremely hot depending on the amperage... and that's assuming the wire is in room temperature conditions. Put it under the hood with more heat and it increases.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by CoffeeCommando
You have an 89... do you still have the cabling that originally came with it? My understanding is that in the earlier years there were XJ's that needed their alternator cable upgraded because the guage was too small. However... this problem only recently surfaced.

Maybe the cable is all corroded internally/melted the wiring from the inside and it's causing more resistance. It's a possibility since running a smaller guage, even only one size smaller, can make a cable run extremely hot depending on the amperage... and that's assuming the wire is in room temperature conditions. Put it under the hood with more heat and it increases.
Didn't think of that one. It is the original wiring. The motor is out of a 94 H.O. I swapped about 3 years ago but the wire harness is original...
Thanks for the input I will have to look at that and check the voltage coming from it see it if drains.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

got a system? Check the light in the glove box. also check (if you have one) your hood lamp.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

The test goes like this. Take a multi meter and set it to amps. Switch the red wire to the top plug (usually 10 amp fused). Take you negative terminal off the battery. Tape the black probe to the negative bat post and the red to the ground cable. That was hooked up to the bat. With the doors closed and the.underhood light off the meter should read between .2 and .4 amps. If its higher out have draw. To figure out what it is start by pulling relays under the hood. If it doesn't drop open the door and tape the switch so the lights aren't on. Start pulling fuses and looking for a drop. When the meter drops you have found the accessory drawing the power.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
got a system? Check the light in the glove box. also check (if you have one) your hood lamp.
I have everything for the system but haven't put it on lol
Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Slick761
The test goes like this. Take a multi meter and set it to amps. Switch the red wire to the top plug (usually 10 amp fused). Take you negative terminal off the battery. Tape the black probe to the negative bat post and the red to the ground cable. That was hooked up to the bat. With the doors closed and the.underhood light off the meter should read between .2 and .4 amps. If its higher out have draw. To figure out what it is start by pulling relays under the hood. If it doesn't drop open the door and tape the switch so the lights aren't on. Start pulling fuses and looking for a drop. When the meter drops you have found the accessory drawing the power.
Sweet thanks. My brother in law is heading over so this should be quick
Old 08-25-2011, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 89cherokeelimited

Sweet thanks. My brother in law is heading over so this should be quick
Oh and another think sometimes an alternator will charge but still be bad. They can ground out inside and cause a 2 or 3 amp draw, sometimes more. If you can't find the draw take the positive cable off the alternator. If the draw goes away pull the alternator and check for continuity between the main bat+ lug (the big one the battery cable is hooked to) and the case. Resistance should be infinite. If there is continuity (resistance indicating a connection) the alternator is no good.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

trying pulling the hot wire got the system just in case, had mine ground out on the body and it did the same thing
Old 08-25-2011, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
trying pulling the hot wire got the system just in case, had mine ground out on the body and it did the same thing
??
Old 08-25-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Slick761
Oh and another think sometimes an alternator will charge but still be bad. They can ground out inside and cause a 2 or 3 amp draw, sometimes more. If you can't find the draw take the positive cable off the alternator. If the draw goes away pull the alternator and check for continuity between the main bat+ lug (the big one the battery cable is hooked to) and the case. Resistance should be infinite. If there is continuity (resistance indicating a connection) the alternator is no good.
Trying that now.

Quick Reply: DYING?!?!