Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The DW pot thickens!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default The DW plot thickens!!

I've been dealing with a DW situation for awhile now, and have been actively working on fixing it throughout. I took it to the shop this morning to get it checked out and this is what they found. BTW, after today I have spent $600+ just on DW issues!! I'm freakin done!!

The DS UCA box is actually tearing away from the frame. I think the weld is bad and that is why it is failing, and I'm sure the DW didn't help a bit either!! They also said that my steering box had some slack in it. Alignment is spot on now, and all of the links and joints and everthing else are new and or good!! I forgot, the drag link end link on the steering box side is a little loose too. I replaced that last winter and think that the DW has trashed it again. It's hard to say what caused it, and what it caused!! Can any of you guys offer some assistance on this. I've almost given up!! I hate driving with the thought of DW always on the back of my mind. The only saving grace is the fact that it is not my DD, and I don't drive it much. In 4 low, I in love with this vehicle, but at 35-45 mph, it SUCKS!!! My next move is to take it to a shop here in town, that is not the lame 4x4MEGASTOREMPORIUM, to have it welded. Then a new steering box, and while I'm at it, a new PS pump & lines, because they leak like ****....oh, and a new drag link end link!! By the time this is done I'll have over $1000.00 invested in DW!! Sorry, I'm a little hot right now!! I'd sure like to have spent that $1000.00 on something else for my XJ!! Anyway, if you have any experience with the boxes tearing off the frame and or DW, not the usual fixes...I've tried them all, please, for my safety, and the safety of those around me HELP!! Thanks for letting me vent, I'd like to say that I feel better, but I don't!! I want my XJ fixed, so I can move on to IMPROVEMENTS rather than focusing on fixes!! Later!!

Last edited by COSXJFAN; 07-29-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Sorry I can't give you much advice... My lone battle with DW turned out to be a bad jam nut on my adjustable track bar. It keep backing off and allowing my track bar to swivel.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

WOW man I am sorry. Can't really offer any help. You kinda know what you need to do. Put a ad in craigslist for a lil bit of welding needed. I am sure there is a lot of garage welders around there that might help ya out for beer. That is what i did when i needed help with my lift. All the guy that helped me wanted was my old spring packs which i gladly gave him.

If you have to replace the steering box. Why not upgrade to a Durango one it will be better and should be a cheap junkyard upgrade. You could also save some doe on JY parts. I have to 87 waggies and I always check the JY before buying new.

Got to have some JY somewhere around Colorado.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Do you hear banjos?

I had not thought of the Durango upgrade!! That's a great idea, thanks buddy!! The welding, after I've taken a look at it, I can do myself at work. I used to weld for a living, I just don't own a welder, and they are not cheap. Work has a little 110 mig that would do ghreat on the thin metal of the XJs unibody. Thanks for the advise, later!! BTW, do you happen to have a linky to the "upgrade" or know the ins and outs yourself? Thanks!!
Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
I had not thought of the Durango upgrade!! That's a great idea, thanks buddy!! The welding, after I've taken a look at it, I can do myself at work. I used to weld for a living, I just don't own a welder, and they are not cheap. Work has a little 110 mig that would do ghreat on the thin metal of the XJs unibody. Thanks for the advise, later!! BTW, do you happen to have a linky to the "upgrade" or know the ins and outs yourself? Thanks!!
No problem

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...o+steering+box

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...go+steering+bo
Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

http://usedautoparts.everdrive.com/p...px?sku=1693460

i just bought my durango box from here. cheapest i have found, fast shipping and no core charge.

this was super easy. it bolts directly up but you will need about 1/4" of spacers because this box is slightly bigger. possibly longer bolts you can get from any hardware store.

my steering is much quicker and tighter. i recommend this to anyone
Old 07-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Same line fittings, pitman arm spline count and diameter, and where do you need the spacers?? Thanks!!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 PM

the box diameter is larger so spacers on the 3 mounting bolts are needed or else the box comes in contact with the frame rail. i also installed a c-rok brace + the washers so i bought longer bolts. xj pitman arm, steering shaft and lines all bolted up without an issue
Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output

okay im going to get flamed but what doew DW stand for?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by hotroddenal
death wobble. its when the front end shakes violently and feels like the front axle is being ripped out. just like my jeep has lol
Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output

ah. i did not know that. i learned something new today lol
Old 07-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by hotroddenal
You'd have to really be a DA to get flamed on CF, we are the freindly forum!! Later!!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by Burton58
the box diameter is larger so spacers on the 3 mounting bolts are needed or else the box comes in contact with the frame rail. i also installed a c-rok brace + the washers so i bought longer bolts. xj pitman arm, steering shaft and lines all bolted up without an issue
One of the links talked about having issues going lock to lock, have you experienced anything like that?? I live in CO and trust me, I need all the turning radius I have, if not more!!LOL!! Thanks for all your help!!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 PM

it turns as far as my previous box did. though i have OTK steering and it hits to the right so i don't go full lock that direction. seems to go a bit further to the left IMO
Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 PM

Year: 96

WOW bud i am sorry to hear that. I know it chaps. I can make a call to the shop if you want and see what they say for upgrades if you want. Remember i still get the discount. Anyway I can help let me know, my tools are free and the labor is cheap.

Quick Reply: The DW pot thickens!!