Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

drop brackets

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Thumbs up drop brackets

I have to say I thought that installing these drop brackets would be easy...well it is NOT...I have 3.5 rough country and then 2 inch coil spacer and shackle so the ride of my xj was pretty bad when it comes to bumps....BUT!!!!!.....I am going to have to say that if you spend ANY time driving your jeep on the road....Take $189 buy the drop bracket kit from Rough Country and install it.. it will be a pain in the *** but I can tell you first hand that I CANNOT believe the difference it made in my jeeps ride...I'd have to say that it is as good if not better than my 02 Yukon...trust me when I tell you that it will be WITHOUT A DOUBT the BEST mod you can do to your jeep...it truly made my xj a COMPLETE different vehicle....anyone else agree with me?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by morency79
I have to say I thought that installing these drop brackets would be easy...well it is NOT...I have 3.5 rough country and then 2 inch coil spacer and shackle so the ride of my xj was pretty bad when it comes to bumps....BUT!!!!!.....I am going to have to say that if you spend ANY time driving your jeep on the road....Take $189 buy the drop bracket kit from Rough Country and install it.. it will be a pain in the *** but I can tell you first hand that I CANNOT believe the difference it made in my jeeps ride...I'd have to say that it is as good if not better than my 02 Yukon...trust me when I tell you that it will be WITHOUT A DOUBT the BEST mod you can do to your jeep...it truly made my xj a COMPLETE different vehicle....anyone else agree with me?
why was it a pain to install? they are pretty straight forward installing them. but i agree with you and the DB. huge difference
Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

X2

they are definitely an improvement over the standard short arm setup
Old 06-11-2010, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 IL6

REALLY then i need to install mine soon , not today me an wife going to get our passports for cruise.... bonvioge..
Old 06-11-2010, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

They are a great improve ment. i didnt wanna spent the $189 so i made my own with beefy control arms for Free outa crap i had around the shop. more pics in build thread.

Also great flex improvment. only draw back (compared to long arms) is under full tuck it starts to bring the tire towards the back of fender

Name:  0424101405.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  0410102215.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  59.2 KB

Last edited by posjeepxj; 06-11-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987

I had a hard time installing mine as well. The install is pretty straight forward but doing it by yourself is a little difficult. The ride is a great improvement, I also had to pick up some stock control arms cause my fixed lowers were to long and resulted in a terrible camber issue.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:40 AM

the difficult part was getting the old bolts out of the control arms and then getting the new holes to line back up...I guess working 15 hours and then starting on a project like this may have had something to do with the difficulty!!..but I couldnt wait had to get it done!..anyway like I said before dont hesitate with the decision just get it done the ride of my jeep is ENITRELY better than stock ride
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 AM

Year: 1990

yeah totaly agree its a huge P in the A i'm actualy in the middle of adding theese and am having a hell of a time... i bought them off craigs list so i'm still trying to figure out how the L shaped brackes tie in.... i know its to support the upper control arm but cant figure out exactly how it rides... could you or anyone post a pic of that support bracket on the upper??
Old 06-23-2010, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

good job.
but you think those ones are difficult? try assembling and installing the rubicon express ones. wow.

i agree tho, huge increase in ride quality, but still not quite as nice as long arms.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM

Year: 1990

yeah i'm using the rubicon express ones.... i bought them off CL and can't figure them out... on the lower one end is offset and greasable does that do to diff or the frame.... and the upper has a bracket that helps support it... how the F does that little bracket go?? please pst a pic
Old 06-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by davirbaked
yeah totaly agree its a huge P in the A i'm actualy in the middle of adding theese and am having a hell of a time... i bought them off craigs list so i'm still trying to figure out how the L shaped brackes tie in.... i know its to support the upper control arm but cant figure out exactly how it rides... could you or anyone post a pic of that support bracket on the upper??
It took me a few mins of trial and error to figure it out as well. I'm in the process of lifting my jeep now and I recently installed the CA lowering brackets. Take a look at my build thread, link is in my sig, I believe there are some pictures on page 3. If they don't help you, let me know and I will snap a picture at any angle you need.

*Edit: Just realized you are installing the RE brackets, so my pix may not be so helpful, sorry.

Last edited by sanchezcruz_20; 06-23-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

my garage is a mess. i'll post pics as soon as i find them.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Wish I had just gone long arm but the ride is better. The RC instructions suck. Even with pictures it's still a bit confusing. Make sure you check the bolts from time to time, I've found the ones that thread into the unitbody and the one in the old lower control arm spot tend to loosen. And they tend to catch on rocks from time to time. Despite how beefy they look I bent one of the braces on my second trip on them.

Last edited by xjmarc; 06-24-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:11 AM

I'll post pics tomorrow its too dark out right now and I sadly do not have a garage anymore....you will glad you got them once your done...believe me...only thing I had to change was that I still had stock sway bar links and they would not fit afterwards...well they didnt really fit to begin with but I figured something was better than nothing...I just cut mine in half and lengthened them I'll post pics of that too.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM

has anyone had any wobble problems solved by using these brackets? Only have a small problem with bumps and potholes but it would be nice to know if this helped any bc that would probably solve the little issues that i have. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: drop brackets