Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Driveshaft/ T-case clicking??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L
Default Driveshaft/ T-case clicking??

Weird problem here, something i've never encountered before:

I let a guy i work with test drive my jeep about a week ago, and since then, it's been making a weird clicking noise. It's kind of hard to describe, but here's what i know about it... It only happens while the vehicle is moving, typically between 20-35MPH, and also when i'm braking from higher speed to a stop. It gets quieter (still noticeable though) if i throw the transmission in neutral while i'm moving, but once i'm back in drive, it's loud again.

Now, the guy was gone a good 30-40 minutes with his brother and i was waiting since i had all the spare parts sitting in the back in case he wanted it, and he isn't being very clear on where he went or what he did with it. This guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed, so i'm kinda scared he tried something stupid (i.e. throw it in 4x4 going 70mph on the highway we were by)

Any ideas on what the awful clicking is? It's been getting worse the last 2 days, started a week ago. I've got a 4 inch lift, 33's, it's an 88, and as far as i can tell, no SYE, T-case drop, and it's on stock axles. I'll post some pics of the underside in just a few minutes.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Sound like a bad driveshaft ujoint. As the suspension on my Jeep flexes due to hard braking, my driveshaft ujoints bind, releasing a loud clicking sound. Putting the TC in nuetral releases some of the pressure on the driveline, therefore making it bind less. Get underneath it and shake the hell out of the driveshaft. Any play in the driveshaft is a bad or weak ujoint. My theory on your problem; could be right, could be wrong. Only one way to find out. Good luck to you!
Old 07-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Seasoned Member

just crawled under and inspected it. driveshaft seemed real solid, didn't budge the slightest. i did notice the top mount for the rear drivers-side shock was really loose, it had a lot of play. I bought this thing lifted, didn't do it myself, so i don't know if it's normal for shocks to have some play in them or not. i would assume not since they're part of the suspension, but i'm not sure.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

mine doesnt have any play in the shocks you might want to fix that. also check your torque converter bolts if you have an auto trans. mine have come loose before and it does alot of weird stuff like that.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ88
just crawled under and inspected it. driveshaft seemed real solid, didn't budge the slightest. i did notice the top mount for the rear drivers-side shock was really loose, it had a lot of play. I bought this thing lifted, didn't do it myself, so i don't know if it's normal for shocks to have some play in them or not. i would assume not since they're part of the suspension, but i'm not sure.
NO shock should not be loose at all...i crapped out three sets of shock bushings last time i went wheelin cause they were too loose, and if you don't tighten them you will probably **** a shock if you haven't already. Check the ujoints on the front drive shaft and take a peek at the ujoints in the axle while your at it.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Alright, I'll check the U-joints and order some new shocks as soon as i can afford them...
Also, i just got back from the college to register for classes, and i was hangin around out front talkin to my brother, and coolant started leaking from the recovery bottle!! I'm assuming it was just overfilled, am i right? It's leaking from the recovery bottle cap. I've got the cooling system with a pressurized cap on the radiator, and i don't typically hang around my jeep after i park it, so it may have been doing this for awhile, i'm not sure.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Ok, now i'm confused. No clicking on the way home from work today (16 miles, varying speeds.) I forgot to mention earlier, but it was vibrating a bit (hence why i thought driveshaft) but it hardly vibrated a bit coming home.

I figure one of three things happened:

A. Not putting on the parking brake did something while it was sitting.
B. The Drive shaft fairies showed some pity on me.
C. Or, some generous soul mysteriously replaced my driveshaft while i was working.

I suspect B personally, but I'm gonna drive it tomorrow before i get too excited about my lack of noise and vibration.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Jeeps are well known for having noises that come and go. Kind of a bad habit, but I usually ignore noises for a few days before investigating them just because of that fact. Good luck with your noises and get those shocks fixed ASAP. Blown shocks will lead to a very, very bouncy ride which you probably don't want to experience.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:02 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm still paying off my last repair on my jeep, so shocks are gonna have to wait...in the meantime i'll just try to drive the ol' explorer.

Anyways, i bought some new U-joints, but I have no idea how to replace them...i can pull off the driveshaft well enough, but from there i'm lost. I haven't searched yet, but anyone know a good write-up on how to replace the U-joints in the rear driveshaft?
Old 07-18-2010, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know of any write-ups for replacing ujoints off hand, but i'm sure they are out there. I would recommend learning how to replace them from forums such as this one, and online search engines like Google. Replacing universal joints is, well, pretty universal. Once you get some info on how to replace them and start the project, it should seem pretty simple and straight forward. Be careful with the clips, they can hold a surprising amount of pressure and shouldn't be under estimated.

P.S. I always keep atleast one u joint and an idler pulley in my Jeep. These are the two parts most likely to go on my Jeep, especially when offroading. I would recommend keeping atleast one spare u joint in your rig.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, i always keep a spare set of tie rods, a bunch of tools, and a wide assortment of fluids, but no U-joints...i'll add them to my list!

So, the ones i got have different clips on them, and a little grease nozzle thing on it, but i don't have a grease gun. would it be bad to drive with em on without shooting some grease in them? I would just need to drive it about 15 miles or so to get to a buddy's house that has a grease gun.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ88
Yeah, i always keep a spare set of tie rods, a bunch of tools, and a wide assortment of fluids, but no U-joints...i'll add them to my list!

So, the ones i got have different clips on them, and a little grease nozzle thing on it, but i don't have a grease gun. would it be bad to drive with em on without shooting some grease in them? I would just need to drive it about 15 miles or so to get to a buddy's house that has a grease gun.
Be careful with different clip styles. I'm pretty sure the clip styles were independant of the axle it was attaching to and may not work with your setup. A lot of newer u joints have grease fittings on them to prolong their life as long as you keep up with it. I wouldn't personally see a problem with not greasing the u joint for the drive to your buddies house. The current u joint on my rig has a grease fitting on it that I never greased because it was a roadside repair and just never got to it. That u joint has been holding strong for atleast three months now with no signs of it quitting out anytime soon.

P.S. Get yourself a grease gun. They aren't terribly expensive and will pay for themselves in the long run. These rigs have tons of grease fitting on them, so put them to use. Putting new grease in prolongs the lifespan of the parts and reduces wear, plus it helps you find leaks you didn't know existed.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah looks like autozone got me the wrong U-joints...I'm gonna return them tomorrow and get the right ones. I've pulled the rear shaft, and the noise is gone, and the u joint closest to the rear axle sounds and feels absolutely terrible. I'm going to replace both, and put it back in. looks like i've got FWD cherokee today!!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:04 PM
CF Veteran

Yea, Autozone has done that to me many times already. A bad u joint in the driveshaft is usually a distinct noise that once you have heard it and know what it is, you can easily identify later on. Sounds like someone is hitting two screw drivers together. High pitched "Ting" noise is the best way I can describe it.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Well, i exchanged the U-joints for the right ones, replaced em, and the noise is gone! Thanks for the help!!

Quick Reply: Driveshaft/ T-case clicking??