Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Driveshaft problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Driveshaft problems?

So i have a problem with what I believe is my driveshaft. When Im driving i can hear a creeking sound, its louder when you're slowly creeping while slowly turning or uneven terrain. I noticed a leak coming from the rear driveshaft into the differential and im assuming thats the pinion seal correct? Im a noob so im still learning. Im thinking im going to have to replace the driveshaft, new u joints, yoke and pinion seal but Id like to verify it first.. i might end up selling the XJ because all that is a pretty penny and im in a hole lol.. any advice? im planning on jacking it up this weekend and moving the shaft around to see if theres play but im not sure where else the creeking noise could be coming from. plus when you shift from park into gear you can feel the backlash or whatever. any advice would be great
Old 07-06-2017, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I don't think you need to replace the whole driveshaft, just the u-joints. Probably. Get under there and give it a wiggle. Plus, do some more reading.

"Creaking" isn't something I would blame on the driveshaft. My XJ creaks, squeeks and pops over every bump - but it's got 256,000 miles, and everything is worn out.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay yeah creeking is definitely not the word I was looking for. But it makes some grinding noise. Maybe the gears? I saw a vid on this dude spinning his ds and it grinding every turn and everyone said just to tighten it, but didn't help me at all haha Ill be able to tell you more once I jack it up. I just bought it a few months ago and I don't know what the person before me all did, so did they get a new driveshaft after a 4.5 lift? Probably, probably not..... if the seal needs to be replaced will the yoke need replacing too? Like I said I'm a noob but I'm determined to learn this ****. I've done a headgasket by jumping in and learned a bunch from that but this **** is confusing on a lifted jeep that almost all parts could use replacing