Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

driveshaft problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO
Default driveshaft problem

ok so i herd a rattleing that sounded like it was coming from my front diff. it sounded like loose change was in there. it makes the noise weither im in 4wd or 2wd...also when i put it in 4wd (4H, 4FT, or 4L) it makes a weird grinding noice that i thought was coming from my transfer case...no engine codes thrown yet. so i was on my way to take it to the local jeep dealer when a code was thrown (i never checked to see what code it was) so i had to leave my jeep there yesterday...they got it up on the lift and said that my front driveshaft needed to be rebuilt...they also said that my lift was too big (4.5 is big???) and that my driveshaft was hitting something. so i called them today to see what the dealio was and they told me they took my driveshaft out and that it was still out, and that it is deffinatly my driveshaft. as soon as i got off the phone i took a drive up there to find my jeep, along with driveshaft, was untouched...so my question is, has anyone ever had this problem before or is the mechanic just BS me?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

i've never trusted the stealership to do any work. get your jeep back and diagnose it yourself. it could be your ujoints. take your front ds out and drive, if the noise goes away then its your front ds. could also be something like balljoints, wheel bearings, hubs, etc. do you just hear it? or can you feel it at all?

go to your local auto parts store and use one of their code readers to determine your CEL.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

sounds like the u-joints around the centering ball in the double cardon joint.

your centering ball may be fine, mine was. i just replaced the u-joints and kept the new centering ball for when i need it.