Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drives in Neutral, No Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 V6
Exclamation Drives in Neutral, No Reverse

So the other night I fell asleep at the wheel, I woke up as I was drifting sideways hit a median going about 50, and came to stop against a tree. To my surprise the only dmg was a missing Wheel Fender Flare. Wrong the transmission lines were cut by the suspension hitting the curb. I had no idea what was wrong with it at the time.. it was pretty early in the morning and it was cold outside.. soo I had to put it in 4wd (which was the only way it would get a response from the throttle) and drive it home without transmission fluid..

So here's my question..
I repaired the transmission lines added new transmission fluid.. but when I put my jeep into reverse nothing happens.. when I put my jeep into neutral.. it rolls forward like it's 1st.. (it does not shift up like in drive) Any ideas?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

Stop falling asleep while driving. Your lucky you didnt hurt anyone
The following users liked this post:
doublechaz (01-05-2022)
Old 02-07-2011, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I'm not an automatic transmission guy, but one thing I know about them is you shouldn't drive them without fluid. Not sure what a wrecker would have cost to get you home, but it may have been cheaper.
Maybe you will get lucky and someone will know how to get you going without spending much. Hope so, good luck with it.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:43 PM

Year: 2k

Sounds like the linkage might be messed up. Check it out and adjust as needed.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by jeepcherokee89
Stop falling asleep while driving. Your lucky you didnt hurt anyone
That comment is not only unwarranted and unproductive its also extremely rude . Falling asleep isnt something you choose like drinking or using your phone. If youve ever fallen asleep and woke up in a ditch youd be singing a different tune.

To OP: Doesnt sound good.... try a mechanic,and if your transmission isnt completely ruined you can get it rebuilt.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 PM

Thanks. I thought maybe it could be the linkage aswell. Im hoping someone else has had this problem before! First place you take it too theyre going to say "you need a rebuild" Any other ideas?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:02 PM

And Im pretty sure my axle is bent aswell as the lower control arm.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by ivantheigor
That comment is not only unwarranted and unproductive its also extremely rude . Falling asleep isnt something you choose like drinking or using your phone. If youve ever fallen asleep and woke up in a ditch youd be singing a different tune.
if he would have fell asleep and hit your family's car instead of a tree You would be singing a different tune.

you choose to continue driving when your to tired to. so yea it is a choice
doublechaz (01-05-2022)
Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

You are correct! Driving while that tired is dangerous, and pointing that out isn't rude.
doublechaz (01-05-2022)
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepcherokee89

if he would have fell asleep and hit your family's car instead of a tree You would be singing a different tune.

you choose to continue driving when your to tired to. so yea it is a choice
Not every one has a choice. I worked a job that forced us 16 hour shifts three times a week. One day on the way home I fell asleep on my harley. It didn't end well. Though if you have the choice you need to use common sense.

To the op, sounds like linkage to me. Good luck
Old 05-05-2016, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Roofie
So the other night I fell asleep at the wheel, I woke up as I was drifting sideways hit a median going about 50, and came to stop against a tree. To my surprise the only dmg was a missing Wheel Fender Flare. Wrong the transmission lines were cut by the suspension hitting the curb. I had no idea what was wrong with it at the time.. it was pretty early in the morning and it was cold outside.. soo I had to put it in 4wd (which was the only way it would get a response from the throttle) and drive it home without transmission fluid..

So here's my question..
I repaired the transmission lines added new transmission fluid.. but when I put my jeep into reverse nothing happens.. when I put my jeep into neutral.. it rolls forward like it's 1st.. (it does not shift up like in drive) Any ideas?
I have the exact same problem in my 96. Did you ever figure it out?
Old 05-05-2016, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
You are correct! Driving while that tired is dangerous, and pointing that out isn't rude.
I was riding in a car when the driver fell asleep. A 1980 Dodge Colt rolling @ 80mph is a really bad thing.

I have no feeling in the top of my head from where my scalp was torn back, and multiple compression fractures & ruptured discs in my spine left me a 1/2" shorter and a lifetime of back pain.

This was in '98 and I was 18, barely survived. If I went through that these days there's no way I'd live through it.

Pull over and take a nap.
doublechaz (01-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2016, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

The transmission is now toast. Replace it.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Hey Brokeback. You really might do better with a fresh thread and a complete description of what's up. This 2011 thread and all this BS only distracts. Do know the AW4 is nearly bullet proof. Unless you really roasted it it might be OK. In your shoes I'd make sure the fluid is up and pretty pink, and/or start a new thread. You just Drain and Change an AW-4. No flushing, no filter stuff. (it's just a screen). A "flush" or too much at once, the high detergent Dexron 3 might dislodge chunks. You prefer eating away over time with multiple changes, as opposed to coming at with a hammer, "today I master the gunk" Just draining what drains, then repeating, (maybe with oil changes) Is not a bad angle.

Brokeback, I'm curious, did you notice what kind of tree it was?

Edit...Ken is here, a way better source then myself. I AM curious how "toast" is pronounced so quickly, but Ken IS usually right.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-05-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I myself, found myself about a mile down my steep county maintained gravel road with, a with no go from the trans. I was raking leaves off the shoulder, (for my compost pile), moving backwards and apparently stepped off the lip and got a concussion as my head hit a tree. Was twilight when I was raking, was dark as the Jeep stopped headen home. The only oil I had was used Castroil 30W I happened to have in there to help with burn piles. One Qt got me to the dip in my long driveway, a second quart of that over the last hump home. I didn't even drain it. I just repaired the cooler lines that had pissed it out and, as it was about empty anyway. That there badly written, but that was around 260-70K and she is fine at over 280 now.

Still no idea why both trans cooler lines were mucked. (Dremmel cutting, and 8 small clamps, and fuel line resolved that) I like to use pairs, flat's opposite, to feel sure.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-06-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Drives in Neutral, No Reverse