Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drivers side window exploded

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer (FSJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Drivers side window exploded

So I came home to find that my neighbor's lawn crew had tossed up a chunk of gravel and exploded my drivers side window of my poor old '99. Does anybody have a good write up for replacing windows? I found the glass for only $50 on eBay and I want to do it as cheap as possible (not replacing regulators etc...). Any advice would help.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 299 Likes on 248 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

I assume you have electric windows in the below instructions.

It's fairly straight forward, and there are write-ups available regarding replacing the window regulators (since they are involved in another common repair in XJ's, but thats another thing) from which the first steps are actually what you need to do as well.

The short of it is:

remove the screws that hold the door trim, if I recall correctly there are two bigger ones in the arm rest and one little (that one is behind the door handle)

remove the trim by releasing the edges of the trim, a door-trim-removal tool is handy for this but not vital, the pins that hold the trim to the door just 'click' in

Now lift the trim up, once you have released all the pins around
you will notice it is still attached at the back by the metal 'lines' that connect the doorhandle inside to the locking mechanism (2 lines), these will easily disconnect after you turned the plastic piece that holds them locked

Disconnect the two wiring harnesses
(you might need to connect the main one later on again, since you will need to operate the window regulator)

Remove the plastic cover (if you still have that). Careful with the sticky stuff at the back

Depending on how much your window has shattered, it probably is still "fastened" at the regulator (the area where the glass is connected to the part that moves the window up and down, 3 bolts, 10 mm if I recall correctly. Unscrew those. Be careful, your window is now not fastened to anything and will drop down.
Push the window (or the remains) up and out at the top.
Pm: this is where I meant you might need to reconnect the harness for the window controls again, in order to move the part where the glass is fastened to the regulator into such a position you can reach it easily.

Slide in the new window
Fasten the three bolts again
Reverse process for putting everything back together

Hope this helps. Should be do-able.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer (FSJ)
Engine: 4.0

Thanks! Sounds simple enough. Hopefully my plastic bag keeps it dry until this weekend haha.