Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dristibutor

Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech
Default dristibutor

replacing the distributor on my 99 this coming week... any hints tips or new curse words i should try out? i noticed the postioning of the bolt to the engine mount and looks like im gonna have to go to church for a month straight after this fix
Old 02-19-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Get a distributor wrench.

Also find a well written procedure for doing the job.

I was gonna do mine because it looked so easy, instead I fixed the immediate issue ( threads bad on distributor caused loose cap - misfire codes ) and am putting off the distributor swap until I get more info.

To me it looks like you mark the distributor where the rotor is before you pull it out, make sure the rotor is in the same spot when the new one goes in.

It's the first time I saw a distributor with a mounting flange so that you cannot spin it like you did on the old Ford and Chevy V8's tI am used to working on.

I know one guy who said he tried to put his in by himself and screwed something up .... another $400 later and he was good.

Never did hear back what he messed up, I am thinking maybe he was off by a tooth or two when he put the new one in.

I figure I'll wait for warmer weather, when I can take my time and do it by the book.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: I6

Removal:

-Disconnect the negative battery cable.
-Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires from the distributor cap and coil.
*Fireing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4
If you are looking on the cap facing the firewall, the position clockwise
starting at 9 o'clock is 1-5-3-6-2-4
*cylinder position from the front of the engine to the firewall is 1-2-3-4-5-6
-Remove the distributor cap retaining hooks/screws and remove the distributor
cap.
-Note the position of the rotor in rotation to the base. Put a mark on the base of the distributor and on the engine to facilitate reinstallation. Align the marks
with the direction the metal tip of the rotor is pointing.
-Remove the bolt that holds the distributor to the engine.
-Lift the distributor from the engine

Installation

-Clean the mounting are of the cylinder block and install a new distributor
mounting gasket.
On some models there is a fork on the distributor housing. The slot in the fork aligns with the distributor hold-down hole in the engine block. The distributor is correctly installed when the rotor is correctly positioned and the slot is aligned with the hold-down bolt hole. On these computer controlled distributors, initial ignition timing is not adjustable.
-Align the rotor tip with the mark scribed to the distributor/engine block during removal, then turn the rotor approximately 1/8 turn counterclockwise past the scribed mark.
-Slide the distributor shaft down into the engine. It may be necessary to move the rotor and shaft slightly to engage the distributor shaft with the oil pump slot. Align the scribe mark on the distributor housing with the mark on the cylinder block.
Ensure that the distributor is fully seated against the cylinder block. It may be necessary to slightly rotate (bump) the engine while applying light downward force to fully engage the distributor shaft with the oil pump drive gear shaft.
-Install the distributor shaft hold-down and bolt.
-Install distributor cap and ignition wires. Make sure the wires in proper order !

Hopefully that helped
Old 02-19-2011, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

remove two screw for cap lay to the side leave wires attached take a crayon, paint marker and mark were the rotor is pointing on the engine some where put the new on in with the rotor pointing to the mark put cap back on your done.