Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dragging windshield wiper question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Default Dragging windshield wiper question

Windshield is kinda misty and I hit my wipers. They work okay for the wipe but when they get down towards the cowl and the windshields dry they just seem to poop out and stop 4 inches above the bottom of the windshield. Its kinda sad .

If its constant rain there are no issues and the wipers go a little too far (below the bottom of the windshield and on top of the trim, also do the same thing on the side)

Is there something wearing or is this kinda normal ?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:55 AM

Sounds like you need new wiper blades. yours are hard and brittle. a frsh new set should cure your problem. Also before you install the new wiper blades clean the whole windshiels relly good use a good glass cleaner ans if you can get some rain X put that on the windshied. use a good bit of it follow the directions. then put you new wiper blades on..
Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

That's not a new wiper issue..If the wipers work but drag my guess is the same issue mine has motor. Wiper blades that are bad will not crawl almost to a stop they will drag and skid and make noise but they will work.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Yea, I didnt think it was a new wiper issue. I was going to throw some rainX on there to kinda lube things up and maybe they will glide a little better.

Is this a sign of the wiper motor going out, or is it just getting tired?
Old 03-04-2009, 03:16 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Litre

rainx is a beautiful thing. They now make deicer/bug gut remover with rainx right in it. I get it at walmart . I believe it is under $3. Every time you use your squirters, you get a new spray of rainx. FYI it is orange in the bottle pretty easy to spot among the blue and or green washer solvent.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Sold my 1991 to go to school for 2 years.
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 91 Laredo
Windshield is kinda misty and I hit my wipers. They work okay for the wipe but when they get down towards the cowl and the windshields dry they just seem to poop out and stop 4 inches above the bottom of the windshield. Its kinda sad .

If its constant rain there are no issues and the wipers go a little too far (below the bottom of the windshield and on top of the trim, also do the same thing on the side)

Is there something wearing or is this kinda normal ?
My '92 was doing the exact same thing until one day they crapped out all together. My first thought was the motor but it turned out that the linkage had fallen apart. I replaced the 2 bushings (one on each end of the linkage) for about $3 and voila, wipers worked perfect. Stopped exactly where they were supposed to regardless of the weather conditions. In short, I'd try this first. All you have to do is remove the cowl and inspect. HTH.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

mine do something similar to this sometimes. they wont drag, but the left one will almost go too far and hit the trim on the outside of my windshield, then when they go back down the right one will rest on the trim like you said. they're new blades(5 months?) and they still work ::knock on wood:: so i haven't looked into it.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Seasoned Member

^^ Bushings solved my problem and it was doin exactly as you've decribed. I left it for quite a while because they still worked and it bit me in the rear when the linkage fell apart during a downpour. The bushings can be a pain to change at the best of times but in a downpour in a parts store parking lot with limited tools and light, it downright sucked!!! I;d fix the problem sooner than later. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BudgetXJ
My '92 was doing the exact same thing until one day they crapped out all together. My first thought was the motor but it turned out that the linkage had fallen apart. I replaced the 2 bushings (one on each end of the linkage) for about $3 and voila, wipers worked perfect. Stopped exactly where they were supposed to regardless of the weather conditions. In short, I'd try this first. All you have to do is remove the cowl and inspect. HTH.
Where did you buy the bushings?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Member

I got them in the Help! section at my local auto parts store. They only have 2 part numbers each one for a kit that comes with a variety of bushings. they're pretty easy to match up
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by BudgetXJ
I got them in the Help! section at my local auto parts store. They only have 2 part numbers each one for a kit that comes with a variety of bushings. they're pretty easy to match up
Is it farely easy to get the bushing out so you can take it in to find the right one?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

It shouldn't be very hard to take apart. Mine fell apart so I'm not positive how yours is gonna be but if the bushings are worn it should be easy. The bushings I replaced are in the link that goes from the motor to the driverside wiper. I'd inspect them all when ur in there. All you really have to do to get to them is remove the wiper arms and then the cowl and you're there.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have a related question. I checked my bushings and they seem fine. My '92 has been garage kept and only has 116k miles. The wipers are crazy slow in all positions. Is this a sign of the motor giving out or possibly bad wiring? Thanks for the advise.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Year: 98
Default wipes

Originally Posted by badandy
I have a related question. I checked my bushings and they seem fine. My '92 has been garage kept and only has 116k miles. The wipers are crazy slow in all positions. Is this a sign of the motor giving out or possibly bad wiring? Thanks for the advise.
sounds like motor is getting weak but that is just a w.a.g. wild *** guess.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I put a new wiper arm on and a new set of wipers a few months ago. Every since then, the wipers seem to skip across the windshield. They do not clean well because half the time they're not making full contact. They also make quite a racket because of the skipping. Any ideas?