Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dorman 800-714

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 10:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Dorman 800-714

Just replaced my transmission cooler line and thought I installed the new line correctly but when I started her up she threw fluid all over my floor. Went out and bought the Dorman 800-714 so I didn’t have to mess with the connector on the transmission but now I’m a little worried the connector isn’t tight enough. When I’m tightening it with a 7/8 wrench I only have a little bit of room to work with but I turn the Dorman about a half inch because that’s all the space I have and then when I release my wrench it just moves back the half inch. I reconnected everything and started her up and don’t have any leaks but I’m kind of worried long term it isn’t tight enough. Has anyone ever replaced the same part? Did yours spin back when it was tight enough? Thank you

Old connector

New purchased connector
Old 05-19-2020, 10:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

If its not leaking, leave it alone. Check it now and then to be sure.

If you cant swing the wrench enough, flip it over a couple times as you go. The open ends are offset on many of them, which will give you a couple degrees more swing just flipping the wrench over. Sometimes you only get a couple mm per swing so keep flipping the wrench over until youre happy. Thats how i got those fittings seated to my liking. Once you feel the o-ring seat, a couple degrees more is all you need. Bcause the o-ring is soft, it can give you the impression it isnt seated. Its like an oil filter. Dont overdo it.

And you dont always have to have the open end perpendicular with the fitting. That also helps in some situations. As long as you hand threaded the fitting first to get it started, you should be good. This also works using the box end in some situations. Sometimes you have to loosen the fitting or nut or bolt a little to get the wrench in a position so you can get more swing, when using the open end, or the box end. Ive done this for years.
The following users liked this post:
Gebert530 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 09:57 PM

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Since you just replaced the plastic connector, it is pliable enough to be easily removed so you can use a socket on that connector. I replaced the same connector on my XJ after I removed the brittle, plastic connector and could not find the right connector. Pull the ears in and it comes right out.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:13 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

I did this install a few months ago. The plastic bit came out so I could tighten the fitting snug. I saved the old one too so I had a spare just in case. This whole install was a pain in the butt and I kinda freaked out but it's not leaking. Like they said up top^ do a dance and try all sorts of positions til you get it tight. Truuuust me you'll know pretty quick if the fluid is low again. For a whole week I was like "why cant I move in reverse??"
The following users liked this post:
Gebert530 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 11:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xxEuroBabexx
I did this install a few months ago. The plastic bit came out so I could tighten the fitting snug. I saved the old one too so I had a spare just in case. This whole install was a pain in the butt and I kinda freaked out but it's not leaking. Like they said up top^ do a dance and try all sorts of positions til you get it tight. Truuuust me you'll know pretty quick if the fluid is low again. For a whole week I was like "why cant I move in reverse??"

yeah my bolt didn’t seem to get tight though, I did drive her today and no leaks so far so good