Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Doorless Write UP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Doorless Write UP?

Anyone got one?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=408138

If you decide to do this mod I would appreciate it if you made a writeup for CF
Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Seasoned Member

already seen that one. notice how after he explains how to cut off the plastic part he stops, wat do you do after that?>
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 PM

You need to get rid of the pins and make quick disco pins (bolts or the like)
Old 04-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Seasoned Member

how do i get rid of them, grind down the top and bottom or completely cut off the pins? how would one go about doing this?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:01 PM

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444398

Check out that writeup.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

Yea if you do decide to do this. Please do your own write up with some nice pics and what not. I really am debating doing this when summer rolls around. I just don't want to totally screw things up. My Jeep for now is still my D.D. and it is in pretty nice condition for the time being as well. I was happy to read though that people that did this 2+ years ago still do not have any door sag so that might help the cause of doing it.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by afbond03
Yea if you do decide to do this. Please do your own write up with some nice pics and what not. I really am debating doing this when summer rolls around. I just don't want to totally screw things up. My Jeep for now is still my D.D. and it is in pretty nice condition for the time being as well. I was happy to read though that people that did this 2+ years ago still do not have any door sag so that might help the cause of doing it.
I know sharpie personally and after a bit over a year of running doorless he wishes he hadnt because his door locks are all bent up. Although his door pins arent the correct size causing his door to sag which has contributed to a large amount of his problems.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Seasoned Member

it seems like that guy really hacked it up, he chopped off hte bottom of hte hinge and also welded on a new pin, just seems like he went a little overboard with fabrication, at least to my tastes haha. I think ill do it anyway, it should cause any problems if i just cut/drill out that old pin and get a nice, strong set of new bolts to go in there place, as well as use the "helper" thingies (watever theyre called, keep the door on track and let it pop into liek 2 or 3 opening positions) whenver i put the doors back on. With that it should be fine im hoping. Its one of the main reasons i was looking for a 2 door cherokee to begin with haha
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 AM

Worst case you go back to jeep and get the OEM door bolt and re-assemble everything.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Seasoned Member

yea. i dont see why you cant just remove the 3 hex/allen bolts on each hinge, it would seem that would be easiest. i thikn htat makes it so you have to like realign it though every time you put it back on, is that right?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:59 AM

Default doorless

I went doorless seasonaly in my "89 for 4 years. I actually made tube doors, they worked great. I never had any problems with door sag or misalignment problems when reinstalling the OEM doors when the weather turned cold. For hinge pins be sure to use some thing at least grade 8, I used "ball lock pins", the ones that when you push the button on the end the little check ***** retract into the pin at the other end. The pins are 1/4"x2.75, the check mechanism also gets a 1/4" pin/bolt.
I know others have cut off the lower hinge ear, door side, I was'nt comfortable in doing that but I did slot the lower ear on the bottom hinge, so the hinge sides in and the weight of the door holds it in place. If you slot it, the slot should face the rear of the vehicle so the door cannot become dislodged or misaligned when closed. If at all possible DO NOT unbolt the hinge from the door, realigning the door sucks, knock the pin out from the top

There was just a bit of slop in OEM door alignment with the new hinge pins but I never had any closing problems and will certainly do this same mod when I find my next XJ. I'm currently looking for an XJ for my daughter to wheel. When I get the new XJ I will start fabbing tube doors and will offer them for sale here. I'm currently producing the for TJ's and look forward producing them for XJ's.

Last edited by rticul8; 04-03-2008 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: IL6 4.0

I might have missed it somewhere, but this mod won't work with electric windows/locks will it? Has anyone switched from electric to manual windows/locks?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeefamily
I might have missed it somewhere, but this mod won't work with electric windows/locks will it? Has anyone switched from electric to manual windows/locks?
My XJ had manuel windows but there was a speaker in the door. I'm told that behind the kick panel at the front of the door there is a disconnect for the door electrical. Unplug it and pull it through the hole. Doorless is awesome, especially when wheeling, vis is great.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: IL6 4.0

Okay, cool, so I can keep the electrics, just unplug 'em before yanking the doors!

Quick Reply: Doorless Write UP?