Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door Lock Woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Door Lock Woes

Ok I have searched and searched as I know some of you will say do that first but I'm not finding the answer and or several links to write ups are dead links so here goes:

I just replaced my driver side window/lock switch with a new one that has fixed my window issues. Now all my windows work from their doors. I was hoping this would fix my door lock issues as well but no dice. My key fob does not work. When I press the door lock button on the driver side only the passenger rear door and rear hatch are operated. I have heard that the master for the door locks is actually the passenger door control. If I replace this switch next is it likely to fix the problem? By the way I have greased the door locks and all of the locks when operated manually work as they should so I'm not thinking I have an actuator problem, could be wrong though. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I would first check to see if the door lock actuators work by unplugging them from their harnesses and 1) checking that power is getting to the connector when you hit the lock and unlock and 2) that the actuators work when you apply power directly to them.

Three of my four failed within a couple of weeks of each other.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

what year XJ? on the later model ones you usually have to resolder the connections inside the door. might want to look into that

Old 01-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

I have heard that the master for the door locks is actually the passenger door control.
i think thats true, check plugs,wiggle,xercize. fixed mine
Old 01-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 91 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Following, because my door lock on drivers side works when it wants too. It will always unlock, but locking is intermittent at best, some days it's fine for a few times, then doesn't.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

Stop firing the parts cannon. Think. Test.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned

a month after buying my 00, ,my right rear quit locking. took door apart. got direct to wires. the actuator decided to die!! open circuit. very costly. i lock it by hand for now. you need to test wires/lock motor direct.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

My driver door doesn't work by the switch all doors works but that one it is kinda tight hard to lock and unlock even with the key actuator does work put new rods in it still didn't help so I just use the key for that one door got tired of Messin with it lol
Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 AM
Banned

i lube my key/door lock regularly. pass key dont work. dont want to crawl thru back!..lube well to loosen?
also had to bend rods to adjust length on pass door. ok now
Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

For those of you with sticky locks, pull off the door panel, remove the mechanical lock mechanism (the one that engages the striker on the pillar) and clean/re-lube. They get all gummed up and are susceptible to dust and dirt.

If you can hear your electric actuator trying to work but doesn't unlock/lock the door that may be your issue. The force required to lock and unlock a gummed up mechanism may be greater than what the actuator can handle.

I was having the same issue, had to replace the driver front because it was gummed up beyond cleaning but the rest of the doors now function properly after cleaning and re-lubing.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LACK
For those of you with sticky locks, pull off the door panel, remove the mechanical lock mechanism (the one that engages the striker on the pillar) and clean/re-lube. They get all gummed up and are susceptible to dust and dirt.

If you can hear your electric actuator trying to work but doesn't unlock/lock the door that may be your issue. The force required to lock and unlock a gummed up mechanism may be greater than what the actuator can handle.

I was having the same issue, had to replace the driver front because it was gummed up beyond cleaning but the rest of the doors now function properly after cleaning and re-lubing.
where did you get the new one?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
where did you get the new one?
From the dealership.

I can pull the part number tomorrow when I go to work. What year are you looking for?