Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door Lock triggers dome light, rear wiper and horn

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Door Lock triggers dome light, rear wiper and horn

So new owner - 3 days - and having what appears to be a serious electical issue. When driving, if I lock the doors the dome light flashes, horn honks and the rear wiper goes on one swipe. It will do it every time I hit the button. It is fine when the car is stopped and shut off - switch works as it should.

Today, the gages stopped working and I git a check engine. I turned it off and back on and the check engine stayed on. I pulled the codes and got a P1698 and a P1694. I understand these or TCM and PCm communication faults - are they related likely to the lock issue or is that a secondary problem?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Well dealer won't help me out despite the vehicle being off their lot less than 48 hours. They determined the gauge issue is a bad instrument cluster which they want a ridiculous 1300 to replace. They estimated four hours of labor to determine the issues with the door locks. Needless to say I went and picked it up. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Location: thompson,okanogan,shushwap area in central British columbian
Year: 91 laredo
Engine: HO 4l

not to say this is the problem but could be a possibility

when i was in school a buddy of mine would go around at partys and connect the horn to either the turn signals or brake lights or both... so the joke was when this person was driving the next day hungover and they signal or brake it scares the **** outa them and then continus to annoy them for a wile until it is fixed,,

anything electrical is my biggest of all weeknesses and i never figured out how to f with friends like this so i realy dont know how to do it or how to fix it realy....

is it only the doors switch or do the other things trigger everything else to? advice follow the wires and see if anything is tappd into them, find out where the dealership got it from (probably a teenager or his parents)

not saying this is it but it could be good luck
Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by PendletonGuy
So new owner - 3 days - and having what appears to be a serious electical issue. When driving, if I lock the doors the dome light flashes, horn honks and the rear wiper goes on one swipe. It will do it every time I hit the button. It is fine when the car is stopped and shut off - switch works as it should.

Today, the gages stopped working and I git a check engine. I turned it off and back on and the check engine stayed on. I pulled the codes and got a P1698 and a P1694. I understand these or TCM and PCm communication faults - are they related likely to the lock issue or is that a secondary problem?
Does this rig have an aftermarket anti-theft system installed?

Do you have a Sentry Key Immobilizer System installed?

With P1698 and P1694, the PCM doesn't like what it sees on your CCD Data Bus. SKIsystems and aftermarket anti-theft systems have been known to screw up the CCD Bus.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Ah. So your XJ has the much sought after "Poltergeist Package".

Good suggestions above. My first instinct would be to check for an aftermarket alarm with hokey wiring. Sometimes, even if aftermarket units are taken out in haste (like by a dealer who took a trade-in with no remotes), some orphaned wires and connections can be left behind that can cause weird issues. Look under the hood for a siren. If there's nothing, pull the plastic and steel panels under the steering wheel, and have a look around. If you see any black boxes about the size and shape of two decks of cards laying next to each other, especially if it has more than about 10 wires going to it. That's probably an aftermarket alarm brain. If you don't see that, look for a bunch of wire connectors that don't seem to go to anything. The dead give-away is if you find any of this and it is zip-tied, duct-taped, or velcro'd to the steering column.