Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dont buy rugged ridge!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dont buy rugged ridge!

so i created this thread to vent about a common setup that people use. so feel free to include any words of wisdom.

so i bought a brand new rugged ridge heavy duty steering setup brand new in the box from some guy. i have been running it for about six months now with no "huge" issues. i am on 6.5" of lift and 35s locked up front and rear.

so the other day i was driving down a nice gravel road at about 15mph when i lose all steering. i was able to bring it to a stopped relatively quickly and safely so no one was hurt. the passenger side tie rod end pulled straight out of the tie rod stripping all of the threads. this loss of steering caused me to lose all control. now imagine if this was on a highway at a higher rate of speed? keep this in mind...

i called rugged ridge directly and explained to them my dilemna to see if they would replace it or do anything for me. the only answer i got was "we are sorry but all we can do is give you part numbers to replace what you broke since you didnt purchase it directly from us." then i proceeded to ask them what would have happened if i was on the freeway when this happened? all they had to say was "we are sorry"

rugged ridge products and service are a waste of money and a bunch of D bags to deal with! i will never recomend their product to anyone!!!

vent over....
Old 01-25-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I second this!
My uncle bought me a clinometer (brand new in box off ebay i think) for christmas that was made by them and it is a total pos. Both gauges are way off and there is no adjustment.
Very poor product in my opinion
Old 01-25-2010, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

i like venting.... sorry bout wat happened though that sucks
Old 01-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

My friend bought a steering brace from them and it bent?!!! How does this help brace anything if its not even strong enough. RUGGED RIDGE IS CRAP!!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

there are a great deal of companies that will not warranty the product, unless bought from them, or an authorized dealer. i mean i feel bad for you, but thats just the way **** works out
Old 01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by mrmikey32
there are a great deal of companies that will not warranty the product, unless bought from them, or an authorized dealer. i mean i feel bad for you, but thats just the way **** works out
There are also a lot of companies that guarantee their products no matter where it was purchased. Companies that make quality stuff and know it would not care where it was purchased as long as its their product.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: I6 4.0

Rough Country is one of those good companies.

Too bad they haven't offered a steering set-up yet.

And you should have bought the currie set-up.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

thats kinda a BS whiney complaint in my opinion... that would be like buying a TV from some random guy on the street that says its brand new from best buy and then you take it home and it doesn't work so then you go to best buy and complain.....

you cannot blame the manufacturer completely just because you being a random joe bought a setup from some random person and then expect them (RR) to do warentee on something you didn't buy from them in the first place... the reason why they can't help you is because they can't guarentee the condition of the item after its been purchased and shipped to a buyer.. for all you know the guy you bought it from could've dicked with it in some-way and then re-sealed it to get his moeny back...

now Hear me when i say this.... my response is of NO RELATION to the quality of rugged ridge... my response is only that its BS for you to critisize them for not helping you out with one of their products when your not the original buyer... it would be the same way for anything you buy from any store or company.... once the product has been purchased and shipped... any sale or transaction of the item to another party automatically makes it void form warentee... now on the off change that you can re-register the item and then obtain warentee thats a different story..

but in your case yes it sucks but to blame them and critisize them for not helping you is still BS
Old 01-25-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

Crap, I just saw this post, like a few hours after ordering some Rugged Ridge tow hooks with the mounting brackets and stuff...
Old 01-25-2010, 06:12 PM

Year: 2000 &90

thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 PM

Year: 1991

Like the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for"! RR makes cheaper parts IMO.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by 98CherokeeSport
so i created this thread to vent about a common setup that people use. so feel free to include any words of wisdom.

so i bought a brand new rugged ridge heavy duty steering setup brand new in the box from some guy. i have been running it for about six months now with no "huge" issues. i am on 6.5" of lift and 35s locked up front and rear.

so the other day i was driving down a nice gravel road at about 15mph when i lose all steering. i was able to bring it to a stopped relatively quickly and safely so no one was hurt. the passenger side tie rod end pulled straight out of the tie rod stripping all of the threads. this loss of steering caused me to lose all control. now imagine if this was on a highway at a higher rate of speed? keep this in mind...

i called rugged ridge directly and explained to them my dilemna to see if they would replace it or do anything for me. the only answer i got was "we are sorry but all we can do is give you part numbers to replace what you broke since you didnt purchase it directly from us." then i proceeded to ask them what would have happened if i was on the freeway when this happened? all they had to say was "we are sorry"

rugged ridge products and service are a waste of money and a bunch of D bags to deal with! i will never recomend their product to anyone!!!

vent over....
you did not but it from a vendor. if you owned a company and a customer called you and "some guy sold me this crap and said it was new and it broke, fix it!" you would say "uh...... no how am i supposed to know that you arent lying and are just trying to get free parts?" if they did this then you would tell your friends and they would tell there friends and run Omix out of business. All over the fact that "some guy" lied and told you they were new.

Originally Posted by tjfritz325
I second this!
My uncle bought me a clinometer (brand new in box off ebay i think) for christmas that was made by them and it is a total pos. Both gauges are way off and there is no adjustment.
Very poor product in my opinion
when you buy stuff from ebay and it is not a store on ebay. you take that risk. see above

Originally Posted by RENIXBEAST
My friend bought a steering brace from them and it bent?!!! How does this help brace anything if its not even strong enough. RUGGED RIDGE IS CRAP!!!!!!!
crap happens and there are things called "manufacturing defects" that is why you should buy stuff like that only if you can see it in person. or from a vendor where they can take care of the "defect"

Originally Posted by mrmikey32
and most companies do. but not when Joe Smoe sells it on CL or Ebay.

Originally Posted by MVDCXJ
There are also a lot of companies that guarantee their products no matter where it was purchased. Companies that make quality stuff and know it would not care where it was purchased as long as its their product.
but not if you "bought it new" from a namless person.

Originally Posted by Ramac
Rough Country is one of those good companies.
This is very true.

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy XJMJ
thats kinda a BS whiney complaint in my opinion... that would be like buying a TV from some random guy on the street that says its brand new from best buy and then you take it home and it doesn't work so then you go to best buy and complain.....

you cannot blame the manufacturer completely just because you being a random joe bought a setup from some random person and then expect them (RR) to do warentee on something you didn't buy from them in the first place... the reason why they can't help you is because they can't guarentee the condition of the item after its been purchased and shipped to a buyer.. for all you know the guy you bought it from could've dicked with it in some-way and then re-sealed it to get his moeny back...

now Hear me when i say this.... my response is of NO RELATION to the quality of rugged ridge... my response is only that its BS for you to critisize them for not helping you out with one of their products when your not the original buyer... it would be the same way for anything you buy from any store or company.... once the product has been purchased and shipped... any sale or transaction of the item to another party automatically makes it void form warentee... now on the off change that you can re-register the item and then obtain warentee thats a different story..

but in your case yes it sucks but to blame them and critisize them for not helping you is still BS

perfectly said.

Last edited by sflxj; 01-25-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:31 PM

oh and just for the record. rugged ridge (omix-ada) sell the same parts... under the same part numbers, as CROWN. and (this is purely an assumption) they probably buy them from the same place in china.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

they should have backed it up... dude aboves an idiot... if it was on a deal then it would have been worth it... and something like this would be abviouse if it was used or not... i got a MP-8 for my cummins used from a guy on ebay... it needed to be re-programmed for my 03 cause it came from his 06... called TS performance and told them and he said send it all in and they would take care of it... got it back with a brand new sticker on it... brand new wiring harness... and reprogrammed for the cost of nothing... they back there junk up... as most good companies will... if u buy it from jo shmoe on ebay and its tore up... there is such thing as manufacturers warranty... and just plain good business ethics...
Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by huntingman2706217
they should have backed it up... dude aboves an idiot... if it was on a deal then it would have been worth it... and something like this would be abviouse if it was used or not... i got a MP-8 for my cummins used from a guy on ebay... it needed to be re-programmed for my 03 cause it came from his 06... called TS performance and told them and he said send it all in and they would take care of it... got it back with a brand new sticker on it... brand new wiring harness... and reprogrammed for the cost of nothing... they back there junk up... as most good companies will... if u buy it from jo shmoe on ebay and its tore up... there is such thing as manufacturers warranty... and just plain good business ethics...
yea but your's was not something that was broken it just needed re-programmed for a different year. completely different than this situation. oh and these things come assembled (dont tell me they dont i sell them) and a little black spray paint could make them appear brand new.

Quick Reply: dont buy rugged ridge!