Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dome light circuit and Power Wondow Circuit Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Dome light circuit and Power Wondow Circuit Issue

94 Cherokee 4.0L. I need help with electrical issue (short?). Just got done replacing U joint on driver side axel shaft and during test drive power windows starting acting up. With key in run or acc position 30A Circuit Breaker fuse gets too hot to touch and window motors do not work. Fuse does not blow. I can remove and allow to cool. Then I can get 1 window to go down and up before power "fades" to window motors. The parallel problem is the dome light/radio circuit blows fuses almost immediately. Stepped up from 10A to 15A and still blows fuse. Also power door lock circuit is not working as is tied into the dome light/radio circuit. Even with all window and power door lock connectors unplugged the dome light fuse will blow. Any thoughts on this? Seems like a short. Strange timing with replacement of axel shaft as NEVER had an electrical problem with this Jeep in 20 years. Thanks in advance for yoiur help.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

More than likely a short. Have you checked the wires between the cab and door yet? They get brittle and crack when they are matured (like wine). I had to solder 4 of them back together when I had my issues.
Hope this helps