Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dome light

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Dome light

Ok,so I'm back to trying to figure out why my dome lights won't turn off. I did find this the first day, but thought previous owner must have shorted it out or something like that. On the passengerside/front door the little ( turn off/on) switch is gone. I fished around with a close hanger only to find a black wire that doesn't want to move. At first I thought it must be it, but the fact that it doesn't want to move. Leads me to believe that it's some other wire for something else. So now here's the problem, how the heck do you get into there?
Things look pinch welded. I thought maybe pull the fuse box, but don't see that either. I sure would like my dome lights back, so any help would be great thanks
Old 03-10-2014, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 247 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by Snow play xj
Ok,so I'm back to trying to figure out why my dome lights won't turn off. I did find this the first day, but thought previous owner must have shorted it out or something like that. On the passengerside/front door the little ( turn off/on) switch is gone. I fished around with a close hanger only to find a black wire that doesn't want to move. At first I thought it must be it, but the fact that it doesn't want to move. Leads me to believe that it's some other wire for something else. So now here's the problem, how the heck do you get into there?
Things look pinch welded. I thought maybe pull the fuse box, but don't see that either. I sure would like my dome lights back, so any help would be great thanks
Digging up some more old stuff that was on the way out without a reply...

So, does it not turn off, or is it now off and won't turn back on!?

Simple things first: have you tried turning the headlight switch **** all the way to ' off' ?