Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Do I need to replace exhaust manifold at same time as the rest of exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Do I need to replace exhaust manifold at same time as the rest of exhaust?

Title is my question. I'm getting ready to replace floors and am going to pull the exhaust do I can get to it to paint easier. Figured while it was out would go ahead and replace since it was on the list anyway. My manifold is leaking at the collector and I was wondering if that would hurt any of my new parts such as the cat or muffler if it didn't get replaced right away. Planning on getting it done by the time summer is over but I've got a ton going on in a short period and not having to do it at the same time would save me some time and a little money at the moment.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leaking manifold/header can damage the cat and O2 sensors, won't hurt the rest of the exhaust, though. Imo, the front half of the exhaust should be addressed BEFORE, doing the rear.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Leaking manifold/header can damage the cat and O2 sensors, won't hurt the rest of the exhaust, though. Imo, the front half of the exhaust should be addressed BEFORE, doing the rear.
Yeah that was really the plan and then I got wild hair and pulled the passenger seat which revealed that the seat support on that side was all but gone along with the back floorboard. So that has to get fixed ASAP. My cat rattles like spray paint can and my muffler is about rusted through so based off what you said looks like I'll just do it all at once while I have it out anyway and a welder handy. Spending the money on the manifold now is better than spending it twice on the rest of the system. Thanks.