Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Do fuel and/or engine additives work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L inline 6
Default Do fuel and/or engine additives work?

Does anyone have any insight into additives for fuel and/or engine? My 90 XJ sat around for quite a while until I decided to rescue her. So I don't really know her history, but I'm trying to treat her like she was abused and abandoned. Rather than replace everything, I would like to get her at least to a baseline level.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime a vehicle of any kind has sat for an extented, and or, unknown amount of time, you need to replace anything liquid, and anything rubber, as well as do a full tune up. That is what I've always gone by. HTH!!

PS, Yes anything rubber means tires too. If they have sat long enough, they will develope flat spots that will not come out. I heard once that if tires sit for over a year, they are junk!! I don't know the truth to this, it's just what I heard once. Good luck!!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 PM

I guess I should've elaborated a little. New tires, new clutch, new fuel tank, new fuel pump, new brakes, new batter, and new fuses too, but now need a new speedo cable. Of course all stock quality. I've already switched out all fluids tranny, oil, transfer, and brake.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you've got it covered!!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

I usually run a fuel injector cleaner in my jeep about every year. You can pick them up easily at wal-mart in the automotive section. I believe it's called stay-bil. Lucas oil makes some great additives also. I run there auto tranny additive in mine, it was like 10 bucks but it was worth it since I don't think my tranny had ever been changed since I got it.

Last edited by Desertfox1023; 02-24-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 PM

I think my tranny may need an additive even after replacing the oil. What came out looked like the watery mud left at low tide.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I'm a fan of Lucas products, I pick them up from my local NAPA store. As far as your tranny maybe consider draining your case again as you run it more. That will ensure clean fluid flushed out your converter.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

You are lucky with that title I didn't remove the thread without first reading. Use titles that represent the thread. I almost removed the thread on principle, but you got lucky I just edited the title.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM

Year: 86

im curious too, i haven't found a product that really seemed to help except seafoam applied thru the brake booster.but that only cleans the valves and intake out. so im wondering if theres really a product out there that isnt just a fancy bottle filled with diesel based crap.lucas doesnt work for me as far as injector, it also was no good in a borg warner world class t5 5speed mustang trans, however ams oil does work according to my friend. i just replaced my injector but i only have one..so if you have 6 or 8 it cost a whole lot more. it really would be nice if something actually worked.it seems like way back in the cowboy days where they had people claiming there elixirs cured all sorts of ailment and it was just cough syrup with morphine!lol
Old 02-25-2009, 01:47 AM

Year: 1989

I personally like Seafoam and GM's TOP engine cleaner. Dad used MMO religiously. Grandad used ATF and Kerosene. Hear a lot of good things about AutoRx. Just pick a side and go with it. My opinion isnt quite worth .02 cents but im happy with what snake oils i use. Good luck.

Travis
Old 02-25-2009, 02:02 AM

Year: 86

Originally Posted by Kamots
I personally like Seafoam and GM's TOP engine cleaner. Dad used MMO religiously. Grandad used ATF and Kerosene. Hear a lot of good things about AutoRx. Just pick a side and go with it. My opinion isnt quite worth .02 cents but im happy with what snake oils i use. Good luck.

Travis
atf ive seen added to the crank at car lots to quiet a noisy motor. i just got some MMO tonight to see if it helps my bottom end noises im getting a clicky clacky noise, mabe the oil pump? or a timing chain that beat up?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Seafoam works, you can use that in your intake, crankcase and fuel tank. I wouldnt recommend driving for more than a few hundred miles with it in your oil tho.. MMO is great, I usually buy a qt at oil change, use half with my oil and the other half in the fuel tank.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:20 AM

Year: 2001

I seem to have decent luck no matter what mystery snake oil I use.
depending on the situation, I have used everything from kerosene and ATF, To seafoam, MMO, Ac Delco or mopar fuel and intake cleaner, and of course, Lucas products. Lucas fuel additive is the best one for your injectors because of the high amount of lubricants found in it. I had a sticky injector in a old cutlass that I limped around on for 8 months because of this stuff. I ran a tank with about 10 oz's in and my cylinder misfire went away, and I added the stuff every 4 tankfulls. I work at a parts store, and the stuff really sells itself, no matter which Lucas product it is, but the Lucas fuel treatment is by far the best seller to my walk-in customers as well as the shops I serve in town. Lucas oil is good stuff.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM

My only warning on MMO is to use sparingly. I didnt listen to my dad and put a bunch in an old truck...lol...that was the noisiest motor after that. Never did quiet down. Oh well thats what loud pipes are for....hehe.

Travis
Old 02-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

MMO?

Quick Reply: Do fuel and/or engine additives work?