Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Distributor rotor wobbling around

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Distributor rotor wobbling around

I just got a 99xj classic aw4 4.0L with roughly 64K miles. Mostly in good shape. Did the renew all fluids and tune routine when I noticed the distributor rotor had some side to side movement. Ok it's toast, I'm good with that. Looked at at many threads I could to see about some knowledge on a good replacement distributor. Personally I'd like a new one. Checked online at napa and O'reilly Autoparts and they list two. I called the store and asked what's the difference between the regular distributor and the electronic??? No one seams to know.
I don't have coil packs, the one I have has the Cam sensor.
Mopar has a part # 56027028 that they used to make, it's NLA. I'd like to get one tomorrow so I can fix rig on my day off and not loose a day of work.
Anyone have knowledge on this mess???
Thanks ~M
Old 03-04-2017, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I replaced mine with a Cardone 30-4694. It came with an old cam sensor, but i reused my original since it still worked. Dont forget the gasket. You can use a Felpro #70051 (paper gasket), or you can use an o-ring (Napa #727-2024).

The regular distributor vs. electronic is probably referring to the 2000-2001 that use a cam synchronizer rather than a standard cap and rotor style distributor used on the older models.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info & the thoughts on the two types. I clearly see what you mean. That simple explanation is completely understandable. I'll pass it on to the parts pros for their future customer ?'s Now lets hope the the gear and other specs match up. Read a few horror stories today.