Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Distributer squeal on warm-up, WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Distributer squeal on warm-up, WTF??

I have a 1999 cherokee sport, standard. Yesterday, I noticed the distribuer is squealing on warm-up, but the sound goes away after warm. It's more of a washing maching type squeal, but a bit higher pitched. I've located the sound to be right at the distributer. I can put a screwdriver to the distributer and actually feel the sound rotation. I believe it's in the distributer or where the distributer meets the oil pump inside the case. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Or, know what this might be? Or, what is causing it? And, how to fix it?

additional info... I switched from conventional to synthetic oil about three oil changes ago. It had 85000 miles when I switched it, but now has 95000 miles. I also followed guidelines on switching the oil types. If problems persist because of that, the problems would show almost immediately, right?
Old 01-03-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L

could be a couple of things, one of them being a bad oil filter. oil filters have anti bleed valves built into them, meaning it holds oil in the filter for start up. if the valve is bad start up starvation happens. seen this happen on filters more than once.

The other thing that could be is oil pump, what is your start up pressure, and what is your up to tempture pressure, how long after start up does it take for the oil gauge to move, should be right away.

I use a product called Power Puch, an oil additive. It helps on engine start up.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

I have seen the distributer shaft actually bind up , remove the dist and see if it turns freely, if not remove roll pin from gear , dissasemble and clean.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Default reply

Originally Posted by dudels99
could be a couple of things, one of them being a bad oil filter. oil filters have anti bleed valves built into them, meaning it holds oil in the filter for start up. if the valve is bad start up starvation happens. seen this happen on filters more than once.

The other thing that could be is oil pump, what is your start up pressure, and what is your up to tempture pressure, how long after start up does it take for the oil gauge to move, should be right away.

I use a product called Power Puch, an oil additive. It helps on engine start up.

My oil pressure on start jumps to 40 psi. It's steady, and doesn't fluctuate. But, I have noticed that it fluctuates when warm as I accelerate and decelerate, but only by 10 or psi. This has occured since I bought the jeep almost a year ago.

You think I should start by changing the oil filter, and adding some an oil additive? Then look towards the pump? But, yeah, when it's warm, all seems well.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

ur 99 shouldnt have a dizzy.........

Last edited by 98 JeepJeep; 01-04-2010 at 04:57 AM.