Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Discovered head swap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Discovered head swap.

Hey guys,

A little while ago I reported an exhaust manifold leak. Decided to tear into it today, found out I have a warped manifold on cylinder 3...no cracks. (see pic with straight edge)

Turns out the guys that put this together a few weeks ago after replacing lifters
thought it would be ok that the gasket sat totally off. To the point that it was restricting both intake and exhaust air flow majorly. I have tried swapping it around(see pics)

I also was surprised to find out I have a 96-99 0630 Head on a 2000 4.0.
Cool, but not that cool as the exhaust ports on the head are larger and a totally different shape to the original manifold. (see pics)

So my questions are:
Regarding gasket, can I simply file away the parts that overlap as the gasket is brand new.
Regarding exhaust manifold, I'm trying to avoid buying a new 96-99 manifold as its a large expense and I'd have to match the single downpipe to the bottom flange - my 2000 has x2 downpipes, and I'm almost certain they wont match!
What are my other options if any?
I was thinking skimming all manifolds and putting it back as is, perhaps I could file the manifold ports so they match a bit better?

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Discovered head swap.-image3.jpg   Discovered head swap.-image6.jpg   Discovered head swap.-image2.jpg   Discovered head swap.-image4.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 03:38 PM

Anyone ever match the ports of a 0630 head with a 0331 header?
Old 04-30-2017, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by RudeXJ
Anyone ever match the ports of a 0630 head with a 0331 header?
I heard of someone making adapter plates once, don't know how well that worked. New down tubes??
Old 04-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

your 2000 had coil packs huh?
did they rig up mounts? just curious as i have a 00 with 331 head that may need to be replaced someday. sounds complicated on both sides. maybe best to 'sell" the 630 and just get a good 331?? make any sense?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 AM

I've seen the adaptor plate, apparently works, no leaks, but I'm worried I'll loose performance as flow will be restricted.

Im actually going to see if I can file the ex ports on the manifold to better match the head.

thelogical thing would be to just buy a ex manifold that fits the year of the head, but that's expensive where I so going to see if I can custom something in the garage first.

regarding the coil rail; fits perfectly, just need to make a bracket for it, easy. NO WAY I'll swap it for a 0331 head, this head is way more solid and has a better flow rate. Just need to make it work.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:08 PM

Well I'll just keep commenting until with you people gain interest.

So there's no chance of filing those 99-01 manifolds to fit the 0630 head ports the header ports are way too small...but I guess you all already knew that.

so as a new header is way too expensive where I am, I found a second hand one with a small crack. As it's off the motor, I'd like to professionally weld it up and reinforce the weak points, has anyone done anything similar? Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by RudeXJ
Well I'll just keep commenting until with you people gain interest.

So there's no chance of filing those 99-01 manifolds to fit the 0630 head ports the header ports are way too small...but I guess you all already knew that.

so as a new header is way too expensive where I am, I found a second hand one with a small crack. As it's off the motor, I'd like to professionally weld it up and reinforce the weak points, has anyone done anything similar? Can anyone recommend the best way to do this?
im interested but never did it, yet. will it fit up with the rest of the exhaust,? downpipe? ive kept my 98 as a backup engine if my 00 goes but i dont want fitting headaches. unless a muffler shop can make it work?