Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Disaster under the hood?? Help???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Disaster under the hood?? Help???

Okay here's the deal. When I bought my XJ I knew it had problems. I decided to pop the hood and familarize myself with it in case I wanted to do any upgrades and as I sat there with my hanes manual looking at the picture and then looking back at my XJ, then BAM it hit me. My XJ is missing stuff. This is an incomplete list of what I noticed that I can remember. It sucks being in Iraq because you can't actually look and see to complete the list.

1. No pressure bottle or required hoses.
2. Bypassed heater core - a hose does a little arch from somewhere over my A/C compressor to my water pump. The hose is only like 3/4" diameter.
3. I have this stupid air intake that has no crankcase vent hose or vacuum lines.
4. I have NO vacuum lines.
5. The motor is 21 years old and hasn't had a rebuild and I've overheated it too many times. I'm buying a new motor from a motor supply warehouse where I live. I just want my engine bay to look like it's supposed to.
6. It leaks oil from somewhere on the valve cover even though I have replaced the gasket multiple times.
7. My A/C doesn't blow out of any of the vents. Just the defroster vent by my windshield.

Some knowledge would be nice. Maybe you guys can help me. My last vehicle was an '84 Toyota Pickup with a Ford 302 under the hood. It was nice but it didn't run very often and had an electrical problem that I didn't wanna find plus I didn't have the money to rebuild the motor. The XJ is also in way better condition.

Last edited by Countryboy4x4SAO; 06-29-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

As for your A/C blowing out your defrost vents; your problem is lack of vacuum. The is a vacuum tank located behind the passenger side front bumper. Locate the tank and trace vacuum lines up and around to the firewall on the driver side. You have a leak or broken line somewhere between the tank and firewall..
Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

The best I can figure is go to a junkyard and start looking under hoods, so u can see what u need.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I'll try and answer what I can.

1. No pressure bottle or required hoses.
You already have the diagram, try getting a hi res pic of the engine bay and start buying parts. I usually use rockauto.com for hoses and belts.

2. Bypassed heater core - a hose does a little arch from somewhere over my A/C compressor to my water pump. The hose is only like 3/4" diameter.
Bypassed heater core just means you have no heat, its common to bypass them if you dont want to shell out the labor $ for the repair. There are write ups all over to do it yourself, when you can.

3. I have this stupid air intake that has no crankcase vent hose or vacuum lines.
I'd get a stocker from a junkyard and throw it on there for now.

4. I have NO vacuum lines.
Haynes manual should have vacuum diagrams. Hit up the parts store when you can and buy some hose.

5. The motor is 21 years old and hasn't had a rebuild and I've overheated it too many times. I'm buying a new motor from a motor supply warehouse where I live. I just want my engine bay to look like it's supposed to.

6. It leaks oil from somewhere on the valve cover even though I have replaced the gasket multiple times.
You are replacing your engine so whatever on this one. But maybe at one point something gouged the mating surface, or maybe the valve cover is deformed.

7. My A/C doesn't blow out of any of the vents. Just the defroster vent by my windshield.
Like mentioned, probably a lack of vacuum.

If you need more details, dont hesitate to ask. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

The heater hose size sounds right.

If the vacuum hoses are missing make sure you aren't missing the vacuum ball...
Attached Thumbnails Disaster under the hood?? Help???-9211d1260845566t-hvac-controller-vacuum-lines-question-8094b562.jpg