Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Diiiiie ABS

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Diiiiie ABS

Ok gotta 94 4.0 Aut. With ABS. Also gotta 91 without ABS. The ABS must die Quistion, can I switch out the 94 with the 92`s system. Thanks in addvance.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

... i guess were not sure... idk. i think it would be a matter of switching some sensors out, or something. try a thread search, or post it on advanced... GL!

abs sucks!!!! put a subby into a snowbank this winter cause abs sucks so hard!!!! it was kinda scarry and really put me off the whole system. not the first time that abs has been an issue with stopping. but it was the first time i "crashed" cause of it... its an ok system if your driving on dry, clean pavement all day long, but those sensors get messed up w/ snow, or mud, or a gentle breeze...

Last edited by VTJeep; 04-10-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by ieatmud
Ok gotta 94 4.0 Aut. With ABS. Also gotta 91 without ABS. The ABS must die Quistion, can I switch out the 94 with the 92`s system. Thanks in addvance.
why would you be doing this?
Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987

ABS is unnecessary for a good driver. it is designed for someone who doesn't know how to drive...just like traction control.

if you talk to any GOOD driver, they HATE ABS. ABS has almost killed me twice in the last year.

basically, it's useless and actually makes it less safe to drive. wht it does for me is cuts out brake pressure when I want brake pressure...and just simply stops applying brakes. shot me straight across an intersection this past year...the second time it happened, I slammed the car in park, back to neutral, shut it off, and then used non-power brakes to stop me from going straight out in front of a semi.

to remove ABS, pull the fuse, remove the valve box/controller, and re-hook the lines directly to the proportioning valve.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by JeepCoMJ
ABS is unnecessary for a good driver. it is designed for someone who doesn't know how to drive...just like traction control.

if you talk to any GOOD driver, they HATE ABS. ABS has almost killed me twice in the last year.

basically, it's useless and actually makes it less safe to drive. wht it does for me is cuts out brake pressure when I want brake pressure...and just simply stops applying brakes. shot me straight across an intersection this past year...the second time it happened, I slammed the car in park, back to neutral, shut it off, and then used non-power brakes to stop me from going straight out in front of a semi.

to remove ABS, pull the fuse, remove the valve box/controller, and re-hook the lines directly to the proportioning valve.
X1..I deleted that crap,just a matter of pulling the relay and fuse on my 97...
Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Year: 2000

Although what you say may hold true on some dry paved surfaces, I don't care how good a driver is or thinks he is, when it comes to slick surfaces(ice, snow, etc.)I know for a fact and from experience that you WILL have better control of any vehicle in a panic stop situation if it is equipped with an ABS system.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Not knowing anything about brakes, I always thought that ABS was a good thing in all driving conditions. Why is everyone so against it?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dabat
Although what you say may hold true on some dry paved surfaces, I don't care how good a driver is or thinks he is, when it comes to slick surfaces(ice, snow, etc.)I know for a fact and from experience that you WILL have better control of any vehicle in a panic stop situation if it is equipped with an ABS system.
you're WRONG.

The issues I experienced were in snow storms in controlled, non-panic stop situations...I began slowing down from 55 to zero more than a mile ahead, and the brakes stopped working the way I want them to work right around 10mph.

I literally could not get the vehicle to stop, either time, in slippery conditions.

ABS works on dry pavement. that's it. just like traction control. remove that electrical crap and learn to drive.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 L

you're WRONG.

The issues I experienced were in snow storms in controlled, non-panic stop situations...I began slowing down from 55 to zero more than a mile ahead, and the brakes stopped working the way I want them to work right around 10mph.

I literally could not get the vehicle to stop, either time, in slippery conditions.

ABS works on dry pavement. that's it. just like traction control. remove that electrical crap and learn to drive.
I agree! When I decide I need to stop NOW! I want to stop NOW!Not when some little valve and relay decide.My foot has its own ABS and will pump accordingly thank you.I would rather rely on myself.Don't be a retard and panic!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

I don't panic until the ABS takes over...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM

Thats dumb. Pull the fuse. Abs by nature is designed to work as base brakes if the unit malfunctions or loses power. Properly functioning abs will out stop your foot in all conditions. But don't trust me or the engineers that designed these systems. There is a handfull of people who can out stop abs. But they're getting paid a hell of a lot of money to drive, you can usually catch them on the speed channel.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

ABS was not designed to shorten stopping distances, it was designed to keep the wheels from locking up so steering control could be maintained. It can shorten stopping distances on dry pavement, and as long as the driver keeps steady pressure on the brake pedal, there should be no issues with losing control of the vehicle.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 PM

Year: 1989

well i got a 91 with the bendix 9 system,, and it f!@#$^ sux! the time it goes out im swappin it a booster and master outa a 96 plus!
Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by Bluemax
well i got a 91 with the bendix 9 system,, and it f!@#$^ sux! the time it goes out im swappin it a booster and master outa a 96 plus!
The system used on the 91s was an abortion of a **** poor design.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 AM

Year: 2000

you're WRONG.

ABS brakes NEVER EVER "simply stops applying brake pressure". Like someone else stated, it begins pulsating your brakes, no different than you pumping your brake pedal in a sudden stop situation. The only difference is that an ABS system will always pump your brakes faster than you can. This prevents wheel lock up and allows you to maintain full control of your steering. Now, unless you think you can control your vehicle better with your wheels locked up than you could with them still rolling, pull your ABS fuse would be my best advice. But then again, you did say that one time you "slammed the car in park, back to neutral, shut it off, and then used non power brakes to stop you from going straight out in front of a semi". So not only did you lock up your rear wheels(or snapped the park pawl in you trans), but you also lost power steering and the ability to accelerate quickly if needed.

Quick Reply: Diiiiie ABS