Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Different Steering Column Shaft Lengths?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Different Steering Column Shaft Lengths?

I bought a steering column from the junk yard and restored it to replace the oniginal that I was having internal problems with on my 1993 Cherokee. I bought it from a junkyard in California who did a search and found one I was told was from another 1993 Cherokee. I fixed up the used one and installed it only to realize that the exposed length at the end of the steering column shaft that connects to the lower shaft is 3/4" shorter than my original shaft length. This means that I cannot connect the lower shaft from the steering column shaft to the steering box because of the lower steering shaft is not long enough to make up the difference.

Questions for the experts:
1) If my steering column and shaft length are not 1993, what year is it? Were different column shaft lengths used in the line of Cherokee production from 1984-1995? (I am pretty sure the replacement column is not from 1996-2001)

2) Based on question #1, what year lower steering shaft assembly do I need to have proper length from steering box to steering column shaft?

3) Where do I get a lower shaft assembly that is 23.75" in length instead of the stock one from my Cherokee that is 23"?

Thanks for the help. I need to get this Jeep driving ASAP!
Old 06-08-2014, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Does the bolt pattern align through floor on the replacement? Is there a large illuminated ring around ign key?
Old 12-14-2018, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

I know this thread is old but I figure rather than start a new one just ask in this one. I have a 98' Cherokee sport with 6.5" of lift. The steering sucks so bad I am ready to sell it. I have replaced everything but the intermediate steering shaft which I believe is the culprit of my wandering front end and consistent need to over steer.

Question is will a steering shaft from a 96' work in a 98'? If not, is there a way to rebuild the intermediate steering shaft? Or even just custom make a beefy one? I read in a review the Borgeson one was about 6" too short for 97's and up. Plus I am not paying $255 for one of those.

Any help or insight would be appreciated. I know my jeep is lifted (not stock) but my steering shaft is stock and has not been modified. Just a disclaimer because I know this thread is in the non-modified section.

Last edited by Marks2000XJ; 12-14-2018 at 08:06 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-15-2018, 08:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

those intermediate shafts are collapsible, so the op may not have realized.
i'm not sure, but i would think the 96 shaft would work in a 98. can't see them changing that too much.

i've changed many in my days, including my ram just a few months ago.

they are quite pricey, so make sure that it's the u-joints that are sloppy, they should even be replaceable. it's the slip shaft that when it seizes, it's time to replace.
they are easy to replace, just a bolt at each end. you have to fully remove the bolt, as the shaft is indented for the bolt to lock it in place. it only fits one way as it's keyed with a flat edge to keep everything lined up.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by caged
those intermediate shafts are collapsible, so the op may not have realized.
i'm not sure, but i would think the 96 shaft would work in a 98. can't see them changing that too much.

i've changed many in my days, including my ram just a few months ago.

they are quite pricey, so make sure that it's the u-joints that are sloppy, they should even be replaceable. it's the slip shaft that when it seizes, it's time to replace.
they are easy to replace, just a bolt at each end. you have to fully remove the bolt, as the shaft is indented for the bolt to lock it in place. it only fits one way as it's keyed with a flat edge to keep everything lined up.
Turns out the steering shaft is good. I put a pair of vise grips on the shaft and held it while a friend tried to turn the wheel back and forth. Zero play in the steering shaft. The problem is the steering gear, again. I just put one on from Napa a few months ago. A-1 Cardone remanufactured junk. Guy at Napa told me it was one of the better ones. Free lifetime replacement. It had some mild play in it when I got it but has gotten way worse over the last few months since putting it on.

Trying to track down a Durango box now. I am tired of buying these remanufactured steering gears. I have put 2 on since owning the heep and both have been garbage. About over the whole Jeep thing because I can't find a permanent solution to the sloppy steering all these heeps seem to have.