Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Difference between Rear Drive shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 High Output
Default Difference between Rear Drive shafts?

I've been searching for an answer to this question and I cant seem to find it so maybe someone more experienced then me knows it the answer to this,

Is there any difference between the AW4 rear drive shaft and the AX15 rear drive shaft on 97-99 cherokees or in general? A friend of mine ripped my old drive shaft in half on my 98 5-speed and there are almost no 5-speed jeeps out here with a 8.25 rear like mine, So I was wondering if I could get one from an auto and just swap it in, any help is apperciated guys.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

From what I hear the only thing that makes a difference is the type of t-case you have and the t-case you pull the drive shaft from. I would measure your driveshaft from u-joint to u-joint and make sure it matches with the rig you pull from.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Z71Gladiator
From what I hear the only thing that makes a difference is the type of t-case you have and the t-case you pull the drive shaft from. I would measure your driveshaft from u-joint to u-joint and make sure it matches with the rig you pull from.
So the spline count is the same on an auto drive shaft as it is on a Manual one? Its got the NP231 which is fairly common around here but I know I cant get one from a cheorkee with a D35 since it has a different driveshaft end for the yoke.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Seasoned Member

If all you are replacing is the driveshaft the spline count shouldnt matter unless you are taking the output shaft too even then all 231 t cases from the same year as yours should have the same spline count unless the previous owner changed out the t case. I would also make sure that the year that you are taking the ds out of has the same u-joints as your year of xj. The best way to do it if all you are taking is the ds is to measure from the u-joint on the t case and the u-joint on the axle and make sure that measure matches your xj. Also make sure the rig you pull it off of has the 8.25 if thats what yours has on it because the d35 has a longer rear ds and different u-joints if I remember right.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

If all you are replacing is the driveshaft the spline count shouldnt matter unless you are taking the output shaft too even then all 231 t cases from the same year as yours should have the same spline count unless the previous owner changed out the t case. I would also make sure that the year that you are taking the ds out of has the same u-joints as your year of xj. The best way to do it if all you are taking is the ds is to measure from the u-joint on the t case and the u-joint on the axle and make sure that measure matches your xj. Also make sure the rig you pull it off of has the 8.25 if thats what yours has on it because the d35 has a longer rear ds and different u-joints if I remember right.
I'll have to check then If I get the chance to go because I need the DS as soon as possible so hopefully they're the same in the automatic. I just went and checked some U-Joints I had bought for my auto cherokee awhile back and compaired them to the ones on the drive shaft, the caps are smaller then the ones of the Manual drive shaft so I can only asume it wont work. But i'd like to be sure before I make that descion.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Pretty much just need to measure from u-joint to u-joint and make sure the u-joints are the same size and if they are the same you should be good. Other than that you are looking at custom drive shaft or ordering off the internet.

If you don't already know about it this is a good website for searching parts in your area:
http://car-part.com/

According to that website the auto transmission and manual transmission do make a difference though.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Z71Gladiator; 04-09-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Heres a few pics of the DS for S's&G's.
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Pretty much just need to measure from u-joint to u-joint and make sure the u-joints are the same size and if they are the same you should be good. Other than that you are looking at custom drive shaft or ordering off the internet.

If you don't already know about it this is a good website for searching parts in your area:
http://car-part.com/

According to that website the auto transmission and manual transmission do make a difference though.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your help, I really apperciate it because this has been bothering me for the past three days. I checked the site and there were a few on there but they were all way to far away, like 250-300 miles, Not worth the drive. Wanted to try to save my friend some cash but Looks like hes gonna have to pay the $240 to order me a new one. Thanks agian man.

Last edited by XxXJ99xX; 04-09-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Looks like your output shaft is still good though. I would try taking it off and taking it to what ever parts place you go to and match it up too just to make sure you get the right part.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Glad to help hope everything goes smoothly.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Looks like your output shaft is still good though. I would try taking it off and taking it to what ever parts place you go to and match it up too just to make sure you get the right part.
Yeah theres a core charge for the DS to order a new one so i'll have to, hopefully they'll still except it if not then i'll just toss it after the new one comes in.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

why dont you just take the two pcs you have to a drive shaft shop and they will put a new tube in and your done
Old 04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
why dont you just take the two pcs you have to a drive shaft shop and they will put a new tube in and your done
how much would the cost be though? Most likely less but I did find a site that seemed promising because they back they're drive shafts up with a lifetime guarentee but I still dont have the measurements for the rear or I would consider it. I could not find a place that sells remanufactured drive shafts in my town, (advanced, nappa, autozone, fred roberts) nothing which sucks pretty bad.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

no drive shaft is unbreakable what there going to do is put a thicker tube in it what happens then the next time you break the rear or tc id rather break a ds than those cost wise
Old 04-09-2011, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Default ds repair in ny

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=...4f32e4dee1b3fc

Quick Reply: Difference between Rear Drive shafts?