Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Detroit or True-Trac

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Detroit or True-Trac

Respectully request advice from the Veterans.
I know there are a lot of posts out there but...
I currently have a True-Trac in the front Dana 30 and a stock Dana 35 in the rear on my 89' Auto Cherokee 4.0L. I am running 4.10 gears and 31" BFG's. I have a rear Dana 44 on the bench ready to build up. I know I want either a Detroit Locker or a True-Trac in the rear. Gear action all the way, simple and bullet proof. I am a "daily driver" and want the ability to brave the back trails with my boy camping and hunting without getting stuck or breaking someting.
Much obliged,
Jason
Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Its really dependant on what you want personally or I should say what you are willing to live with. If you drive it on the road a lot more than you 4wheel it, then I'd recommend the True-Trac. Much quieter and none of the racheting or clicking you get from the detroit as it locks and unlocks when you drive around a corner on the street. Both perform well offroad.
I have Aussie Lockers front and rear in my XJ and I daily drive mine as well. I get ZERO racheting but I do get the clicking in the corners when my auto lockers unlock. Doesn't bother me a bit but when people ride in my Jeep who don't know its locked they always ask what is wrong with my Jeep when it clicks in the corners...lol.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Seeing as you say this is a DD and you mainly are going to use it for hunting and camping trips with your son, and not a serious wheeling machine. I think the Tru-Trax will be your best bet.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

iv got the no spin from detroit and it works just like a real detroit but a bit less sensitive compared to a typical detroit. i use it for regular wheeling and it works fine.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

i vote true-trac for the dd as well. But i run aussies F+R and like them so i think a detroit would be manageable. My jeep is street legal and i drive it on the road a decent amount, but i have a car too so i don't necessarily dd it.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:09 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

I've ben running Detroit True-Trac's front and rear on my daily driver for about 3 years now. They will take you places off road that I cannot imagine risking on a camping/fishing trip (assuming you stay on marked trails).
If you are using your rig for camping/fishing, I'll assume you are ususally the only vehicle on a trip. I would advise you look into winches.
While a locker/lsd may be the difference between clearing an obstacle or not, they also mean that when you do get stuck, you will be about a stuck as you can be.

Last edited by Mike H.; 10-11-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Hello Mike,
I saw your pics and videos, very cool. If you can do all that with the True-Trac front and rear, that will be plenty for me.
Thanks.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:07 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Ok...I'm new to the whole locker thing but I'm wanting one for basically the same reason this thread was started...for getting to some tougher fishing spots and whatnot. Everything I'm hearing is the Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip Differential.

Will this one click or knock when turning? Stupid question I'm sure but would putting one on the front axle be fine if the rear doesn't have one?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 07:25 PM

The true trac is a limited slip.
It is a gear driven limited slip, so, there are no clutches to wear out. It's operation is very similat to a torse or gleason limited slip (real Hummers use torsen diffs).
If a wheel is lifted off the ground and begins to "freewheel" application(doesn't take much) of the brakes will "lock" the diff up.

They are invisable on the street... no ill handeling, no click/bang/snap, no chirping the inside tires around sharp corners... Only time you would notice them on the street is if you have enough power to spin your tires... it would spin both.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike is 100% correct about the winch my friend. They are very affordable, and if you are alone, they can literally save your life!! A TrueTrac will be perfect for your application. I have seen them in action, and they work very well.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

^x2 You can buy a 8000 lb winch for about 300 I know two guys that have the Smitty built ones and they love them.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

So basically...for a mostly daily driver with the every-once-in-a-while off road trip...a front bumper with a winch would do the trick...and if going for your first locker...the Tru-Trac?

Also, not trying to change the subject...but anyone got any favs on a front bumper?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 AM

Tru-Trac is not to be considered your first locker as a Tru-Trac is not a locker.
Tru-Trac's are full case (strong) differentials.
JP magazine did a test/review/comparison on lockers and lsd's a while back and the Tru-Trac "lsd" was more dependable, stronger than the lunch box "lockers" and was ranked as a more desirable unit both on and off road. It is also more expensive and more complicated to install.
My opinion is... any of the lunch box lockers would be more appropriately referred to as a "first locker".

As for front bumpers, there is no bumper on the market that is as well anchored to the vehicle as the RigidCo bumpers. They include bulkhead reinforcing and replacement of the stock crossmember with a more stout unit, and lengthy "frame" anchorage. Their system is actually a chassis reinforcing kit. The bumpers themselves are very well made and will take an amazing beating.

Last edited by Mike H.; 10-20-2010 at 10:17 AM.