Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Delete Heater Control Valve Write up

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport

This is dedicated to Firestorm and Orlo :-)

For those of you that participated in the heater control valve (HCV) thread, why was it closed? Just so you can see, I took you guys' advice, and bit the bullet...no more heater control valves--I'm hangin wit da big boys :-)

1994 XJ
Detached vacuum line
Detached HCV from the four hoses
Connected heater hose (connected to Tstat) to bottom outlet hose (with a connector) tightened existing clamps
Connected the other hose (connected to water pump) to the top inlet hose tightened existing clamps
Capped the vacuum line (vacuum line caps $1.99, 5-pack)
Attached Thumbnails Delete Heater Control Valve Write up-image-892458663.jpg   Delete Heater Control Valve Write up-image-2881448448.jpg  

Last edited by WomanNeedsJeepExpertise; 02-22-2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

Congratulations........good job.

That second pic seems to show more proof that the Factory reversed the coolant flow thru the heater core beginning in '97.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
Congratulations........good job. That second pic seems to show more proof that the Factory reversed the coolant flow thru the heater core beginning in '97.
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Cherokee

Did I do something wrong here?? 1990 xj 4.0
Attached Thumbnails Delete Heater Control Valve Write up-image-3667922620.jpg  
Old 02-23-2015, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 7ate9
Did I do something wrong here?? 1990 xj 4.0
Is that your windshield wiper reservoir? Was that hose originally connected to the heater control valve? The '90 looks a little different from my '94.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:10 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by WomanNeedsJeepExpertise
Is that your windshield wiper reservoir? Was that hose originally connected to the heater control valve? The '90 looks a little different from my '94.
No. His is an earlier model and that's his expansion tank.

Thanks for the write-up!!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
No. His is an earlier model and that's his expansion tank. Thanks for the write-up!!
Oh, in that case it looks fine to me. You're welcome!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Good job!

The other thread probably got closed because there were some personal remarks in there. There wasn't anything too bad, but the mods here are pretty good about stepping in and keeping us in line when any of us start in a direction we shouldn't go. They do a great job of keeping this place much more civil than many other boards like it, so I don't complain.

Is that your windshield wiper reservoir?
It's not, but that could get pretty exciting if it were.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Good job! The other thread probably got closed because there were some personal remarks in there. There wasn't anything too bad, but the mods here are pretty good about stepping in and keeping us in line when any of us start in a direction we shouldn't go. They do a great job of keeping this place much more civil than many other boards like it, so I don't complain. It's not, but that could get pretty exciting if it were.
Thanks for explaining that to me, I was racking my brain trying to figure out why it was locked. That's the 2nd time that happened to me.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Thanks for explaining that to me, I was racking my brain trying to figure out why it was locked. That's the 2nd time that happened to me.
It's not your fault.

Occasionally there will be a thread here where the OP posts a question and then seems incapable of accepting the answer that's given. The knowledgeable posters here will tell the OP exactly what to test or what to replace, and then a week or two will go by with the OP trying everything EXCEPT what has been suggested. That gets a lot of people frustrated. We've had a few posters who have started with a relatively simple problem and compounded it into something epic.

As a result, we also occasionally have a thread where someone will post a question and get an answer but then won't have the time or money to run right out that day to do the work. So while they're waiting for payday or their next day off, the other people here get impatient and start to think that the OP was wasting their time. That's what happened in your cooling overhaul thread. It had a lot of the red flags of the time wasting drama queens, but in the end you proved everyone wrong.

You seem to be the kind of person who likes to gather all the information and look at the problem from several angles before tackling it. There's nothing at all wrong with that. But because your threads tend to go a little longer than usual before the problem is fixed, some folks here are going to get impatient and say things they shouldn't. That's what gets a thread locked.

So keep asking those questions and doing what you're doing. I for one enjoy seeing you succeed.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

WNJE, the thread got locked before I could comment on your choice of hose adapters.

You traded plastic (heater control valve) for more plastic parts. I'm not sure that is a wise solution to your problem.

Also, another person commented that eliminating the control valve would let hot water flow through the core at all times, thereby hurting the A/C cooling in the summertime. Well yes it does, but that might help keep the core flushed and flowing freely at all times. Cooling system gunk tends to start there first.

In addition, by conduction (heat transfer) the other hose that is open to the engine will eventually heat up and so will the core. It will eventually be coolant temperature as the rest of the system already had obtained.

Therefore, the core will be hot whether or not a heater control valve is present. Air conditioning efficiency, or the lack thereof, will not be changed by the elimination of the valve. Putting a manual shutoff valve in the hose won't help either.

I had already thought of all this before I took the valve (after it burst again) out of the '87.

If somebody still doubts both hoses get hot with the valve closed, turn your A/C on sometime and drive around. Open the hood and grab ahold of both hoses and tell me they aren't hot. If they are hot, the heater core is too. Simple thermodynamic principle.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
It's not your fault. Occasionally there will be a thread here where the OP posts a question and then seems incapable of accepting the answer that's given. The knowledgeable posters here will tell the OP exactly what to test or what to replace, and then a week or two will go by with the OP trying everything EXCEPT what has been suggested. That gets a lot of people frustrated. We've had a few posters who have started with a relatively simple problem and compounded it into something epic. As a result, we also occasionally have a thread where someone will post a question and get an answer but then won't have the time or money to run right out that day to do the work. So while they're waiting for payday or their next day off, the other people here get impatient and start to think that the OP was wasting their time. That's what happened in your cooling overhaul thread. It had a lot of the red flags of the time wasting drama queens, but in the end you proved everyone wrong. You seem to be the kind of person who likes to gather all the information and look at the problem from several angles before tackling it. There's nothing at all wrong with that. But because your threads tend to go a little longer than usual before the problem is fixed, some folks here are going to get impatient and say things they shouldn't. That's what gets a thread locked. So keep asking those questions and doing what you're doing. I for one enjoy seeing you succeed.
Yes you are correct, I am very analytical, and my time is limited. Thanks for your kind words. In my opinion it's all teamwork, couldn't do it without you guys :-).
Old 02-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
WNJE, the thread got locked before I could comment on your choice of hose adapters. You traded plastic (heater control valve) for more plastic parts. I'm not sure that is a wise solution to your problem. Also, another person commented that eliminating the control valve would let hot water flow through the core at all times, thereby hurting the A/C cooling in the summertime. Well yes it does, but that might help keep the core flushed and flowing freely at all times. Cooling system gunk tends to start there first. In addition, by conduction (heat transfer) the other hose that is open to the engine will eventually heat up and so will the core. It will eventually be coolant temperature as the rest of the system already had obtained. Therefore, the core will be hot whether or not a heater control valve is present. Air conditioning efficiency, or the lack thereof, will not be changed by the elimination of the valve. Putting a manual shutoff valve in the hose won't help either. I had already thought of all this before I took the valve (after it burst again) out of the '87. If somebody still doubts both hoses get hot with the valve closed, turn your A/C on sometime and drive around. Open the hood and grab ahold of both hoses and tell me they aren't hot. If they are hot, the heater core is too. Simple thermodynamic principle.
Thanks Firestorm, this is what I was trying to figure out. I know the connectors are more efficient (they didn't have the appropriate sized metal ones but I think this is sturdy-for now), but I didn't want it to affect the a/c in the hotter months. I was thinking the a/c compressor would need to working harder to keep it cool. Ya wit me?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Yeah, I live in Arkansas where it is plenty hot & humid for a long time, like NC.

I noticed no difference in efficiency before & after the modification.

It did seem that I got more heat quicker, though. Gets cold here, too. It is snowing to beat the band right now.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:40 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,527 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Oh, in that case it looks fine to me. You're welcome!
How would you know? LOL!!!

Quick Reply: Delete Heater Control Valve Write up