Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Death wobble with a new tracbar? still stock WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6cyl
Angry Death wobble with a new tracbar? still stock WTF!?

so im sure if i really put in the time and effort i would be able to find something but honestly im pissed at the fact my heep isnt road worthy at the moment so heres the deal.

my xj is still stock, ive had a wobble for a little over two months and i dont know why, it got to the point where it wobbled often enough to shear the pressed bolt on the frame end of my track bar so i replaced the entire bar figured that was the issue. New track bars in and still gotta wobble, ive spent a lot of time under the front end and everything is tight and theres no play but tonight after getting pissed at the wobble i was checking the trac bar and for some reason i thought id brace my self on the tie rod. The tie rod actually twisted when i grabbed it not wiggled or moved back and forth but twisted, i then started messing with that, my tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, and pitman arm bushings all move when it twists i dont think thats right. i tightened the hell out of my pitman arm bolt but couldnt get the tie rod ends or steering stabilizer bolts any tighter, any chance this is my problem??? im thinking i need a new stabilizer and new tie rod ends along with a front end alignment and that should do the trick, i just dont want to waste money i dont have if this is the case. I need somebodys help on identifying my wobble asap im desperate...
Old 06-29-2011, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I have had 3 jeeps one xj and 2 grand cherokees. Prefer my xj. they have all had death wobble at some point and its always been the steering stabilizer shock. As for the tie rod ends and such its supposed to move like that if I correctly understand what it is that your saying. Its just the kind of joint it is allows for what seems to be un-neccesary movement. And it never hurts to have an allignment done. Hope this helps and you rid your jeep of death wobble.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

tire rod ends can be the cause, but not unless they are really gone, ususally the Steering Stabilizer Shock is the main problem.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steering stabilizer is NEVER the cause. All that does is cover up the true problem if it is replaced and the death wobble goes away. This has been beaten like a dead horse but no one understands.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

Originally Posted by OnlyInMyXJ22
The steering stabilizer is NEVER the cause. All that does is cover up the true problem if it is replaced and the death wobble goes away. This has been beaten like a dead horse but no one understands.
This

A steering damper is there to help control oscillation of the steering system just like a regular shock in the suspension helps control oscillation of the suspension.

Lets say you have a tire out of balance and rolling down the freeway the tire bounces up and down terribly.... the answer isn't to replace the shock on that wheel.... it is to get the tire repaired. Replacing the shock may help to reduce the effects of that tire but repairing it will cure the actual problem. If the steering stabilizer goes bad a lot of times it is indicated with the vehicle violently trying to follow ruts and temporary steering wheel shimmy after hitting bumps in the road.

Some movement of the tie rods is okay... the movement is the joint that is there to prevent binding. If the pitman arm itself moves then it needs to be replaced. Try greasing all the joints. If there is excessive movement in the tie rod ends then they will need to be replaced.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 5.2

Ever check the tires, seperated belt, or serverly chopped tires will do this to.