Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

day 4 of problem solving...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5TD
Default day 4 of problem solving...

Thanks for all the help so far guys, i hope to get my Jeep on a lift at the end of the week to try and fix some of the issues that it has....

Now for more questions!

My centre console (roof mounted), has been giving me a headache for awhile now...

From the 'Off' position, the first setting is the Compass and the Temp, compass is working fine, but the temp reads 'OC' (open circuit), next up i have my ODO,the MPG average and the MPG 'underfoot' as i call it, goes down as you press the gas

Then i have the miles of diesel left in my tank, works fine, but the last reading is what is really bugging me, '73:47ET'?????

From doing a bit of reading on the centre console functions it should have a mini trip, compass and temp setting.....what is this final reading? Im sorry if this seem real dumb questions, but there bugging the hell outa me!

I think that the Temp sensor may have been removed from the Jeep, therefore the 'OC' or open circuit reading is up...I have tried a few searches to get a picture of the sensor to find it, either on the Jeep or missing, but i havn't been able to find any, so if someone had a spare minute and a camera, a picture would be greatly appreciated too guys...
Old 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L H.O.
Default MAC!!!

Originally Posted by mac tire
Thanks for all the help so far guys, i hope to get my Jeep on a lift at the end of the week to try and fix some of the issues that it has....

Now for more questions!

My centre console (roof mounted), has been giving me a headache for awhile now...

From the 'Off' position, the first setting is the Compass and the Temp, compass is working fine, but the temp reads 'OC' (open circuit), next up i have my ODO,the MPG average and the MPG 'underfoot' as i call it, goes down as you press the gas

Then i have the miles of diesel left in my tank, works fine, but the last reading is what is really bugging me, '73:47ET'?????

From doing a bit of reading on the centre console functions it should have a mini trip, compass and temp setting.....what is this final reading? Im sorry if this seem real dumb questions, but there bugging the hell outa me!

I think that the Temp sensor may have been removed from the Jeep, therefore the 'OC' or open circuit reading is up...I have tried a few searches to get a picture of the sensor to find it, either on the Jeep or missing, but i havn't been able to find any, so if someone had a spare minute and a camera, a picture would be greatly appreciated too guys...

If you cant access this site from over there i hope you can but if you cant let me know this is the 1999 parts break down when you go into it, it is sorted by all sorts of things and has priceless pictures and part numbers.

http://www.xjjeeps.com/com_xjjeeps/m...ts_catalog.pdf

Try looking on page 201. If that doesnt work then do a search in the .pdf for TEMP SENSOR.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

[QUOTE=mac tire;429645]Thanks for all the help so far guys, i hope to get my Jeep on a lift at the end of the week to try and fix some of the issues that it has....

Now for more questions!

"but the last reading is what is really bugging me, '73:47ET'?????"

From doing a bit of reading on the centre console functions it should have a mini trip, compass and temp setting.....what is this final reading? Im sorry if this seem real dumb questions, but there bugging the hell outa me! "

If it's like the display in my Grand Cherokee the display that's bugging you is for the "ETA" or "Estimated Time of Arrival" used on a trip. JMO
Dan
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 jeep cherokee

Im having a problem with my cherokee it gives me code p1296 my problems are when it sits for a while without starting itll have a hard time to start and when it does my temp goes all the way to hot but when i put it on reverse or drive it goes all the way down to cold and stays there untill i put it into parking and my electric fan stays on and wont shut off when the key is on ANY HELP!!! any help on fixing my problem code p1296

Last edited by cherokee104; 12-13-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

the fan will come on when using the heat and defrost setting also