Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Day 3 fuel pump install fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l- 6
Default Day 3 fuel pump install fail

Ok I give....

What is the deal here?

I have a fuel pump that is an Airtex model E7006 pump Manufacturing date 254 which is bad.

I also have what appears to be an aftermarket bracket? The plastic pieces are in the bottom of the tank right now

I ordered a "Delphi" model which is actually a Walbro pump model 5CA213. I have tried to mate the Walbro pump to the bracket but it flops around, the hose kind of holds it in, but there is no way to clamp it in securely to the bracket. The other pump that is failed mates up and is held in by the bracket and another at the top however the instruction claim that this is not necessary. The Wlabro flops around on this bracket, dosn't seem right. I am assured that this is "The Model for my Jeep". Even with the hose clamped in the pum can still shake out of the bracket as there is nothing to clamp it. The upper bracket also doesn't fit and there are no adapters.

Is the bracket incorrect, am I getting the wrong model pump?

Seems that there is something wrong here which the parts to not mate up, there is no way hat this pump is secured to this bracket... Held in by magic force?

Seriously though, do I need to get another hanger assy, missing something obvious here for this assembly?

Name:  91aDT.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  503 Bytes

Name:  sy5NB.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  503 Bytes
Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

The airtex pump bracket is a bastard bracket. There pumps are larger than oem pumps.
You either need to hit up a junk yard and get a factory pump and bracket and put the new pump in it or go buy a new airtex pump.
People hate on airtex but I run one and have been for awhile now.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the Walbro back and get a Bosch. Jeep used both and they are slightly different sizes. The parts place's computer will list both as fitting your Jeep, but sometimes that isn't exactly so. Take the old, failed pump with you to doublecheck the dimensions. I bet the Bosch matches up.

A failed Airtex? Surprise, surprise.

eta: I see you have an aftermarket bracket. I missed that on the first go-around. Disregard getting a Bosch, it won't fit either. Odgreen is correct that you'll need another Airtex, or have to replace the bracket.

Last edited by Radi; 07-26-2012 at 11:55 PM.