Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Day 1 of my junkrayd lift. A few observations.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Day 1 of my junkrayd lift. A few observations.

I decided to FINALLY fix my '92 Sports dragging rear end the right way. I had installed those $25 "helper springs" a few years ago, but those had turned my stock leafs into a quality S shape. And pulling the small utility trailer was an adventure in bumpstops.

Had a nice weather forecast a few weeks ago so I packed up the tools and went to the local You-Pull junkyard. Was a busy Saturday morning there. Waited in line for them to accept my $2 entrance fee.

Found my victim.. A 1992 GMC Sonoma regular cab, 8foot bed. Springs were in great shape and it was in an easy location. *Protip*- Do NOT forget the 3 foot "cheater pipe" in the garage. Swearing and pulling at 8 evil U-bolts on gravel SUCKS with a 20" breaker bar only. Seemed to eat up about 2 hours working on those. Ended up taking the shackles off too as I couldn't get the bolts out of the rear eyes. At least they didn't charge me the $5 each for shackles. Scored for $15.50 each spring pack.

Figured I better do the front too.. Found a 96? ish Grand Cherokee V8 that someone tore the front grill off with what I imagine was one if the large engine hoists around the yard. Grabbed both front coils for $5 each. I hope they will work for my lift. Just need about 2" in the front for now.

Also picked up a few odds and ends for my '92. I now know how to remove the wiper assembly and motor without breaking anything. My XJ now has wipers that park (worn bushings).

Onward to the install:

Got the packs home and taken apart using one of the many helpful how-tos on the net. I marked the fronts of the leafs by grinding shallow arrows pointing forwards. Hit with the 4 inch wire on the grinder and some cheap Wal-Mart gloss black. Purdy..

Stopped at the local heavy-truck suspension place for my new u-bolts. Since I was driving the XJ, I didn't have one to bring in. They were happy to run out and mic the axle tube (3 inch ChryCo 8.25 tubes x 8 inch long ends) and figure out the new length. New spring center bolts and nuts too. Out the door for $35 and change.

Local hardware store this morning for homemade spring clamps. Nobody sells them locally. Also picked up some new 5/16 nuts and bolts assuming that my upper rear shock bolts would break. More on that later..

Start jacking the XJ up today. My little 2 ton floor jack doesn't seem to ever go high enough. Took a few retries with jack stands and blocks, but I was able to get the rear off the ground by about 6 inches.

4 new shocks picked up at Advance Auto. Fronts are for a 94 Wrangler I think and the rears are 91 Comanche. Had to press in the upper bar pins. Not that bad really. Don't know why people have trouble.. Wire wheeled the pins once I cut the old shock eyes and greased them up a bit. Simple trip with the bench vise. Not bad at all really.

Passengers side first.. Remove tire, place jack under axle and airgun off the stock u-bolts. No problem. Swaybar is a PITA and in the way. Install C-clamps on the factory springs and air out the center bolt. Cut the one remaining spring clamp with grinder and yank the leaves out. Choke on rust..

Keep smelling fresh gas... Maybe its the lawnmower gas tank? Banish it to the driveway for now. Onward..

Lower shock bolt jumps off no problem. Only 250K miles on the original set. Not much life left in them. The upper tubes are disintegrating into nothingness as I twist it off.. The upper bolts actually came out in 1 piece! yay!

I also found out that assembling the new pack is way easier if you flip the leaves upside down and stack them THEN drop the bolt in the holes. Then flip the pack and shove it under the original XJ leaf so the head of the spring bolt sits in the hole on the axle plate.. Use the jack to raise the axle. Bash the leaves once in a while to keep 'em aligned and flush. I had to use a small "ratchet strap" as my axle shifted rearward. Had to pull it forward about 1 inch to get things to line up. A few C-Clamps and install u-bolts etc. I used the stock XJ main leaf (still attached to XJ duh), the cut GMC main, the second XJ leaf, the second GMC leaf, then the rest of the XJ stock leaves. I have 1 more leaf from the GMC pack if needed. Why am I smelling GAS?

Onward to drivers side...

Yes, you NEED to unhook the rear rubber brake hose to get the axle to droop far enough. I butchered the original bracket and will relocate it tomorrow without opening the system. No sense in fighting brakes at this point. I also managed to bust off the upper shock bolts. Where is that gas smell coming from?

Build the leaf packs as before. Fight the swaybar mount. Tighten down U-bolts and install homemade leaf clamps. I also took the little angle grinder and 3 inch wire cup to as many rusted surfaces as I could then lubed with Permatex Anti-Seize. You DO own a Jeep don't you? You SHOULD buy the large bottle. I'm running low.

Slapped the tires on. Will mess with the broken shock bolts tomorrow AM. I can drive up on the ramps now for more room if needed now. I was sitting at 15.5 saggy inches from center of wheel to flare. Now the XJ is at a haughty 20"! Whee! 2.5" over stock. Wierd rake with the front so low. Will take care of that tomorrow.

Also found my gas smell! Front right corner of the tank is rusty and wet with gas. Sigh.. Another project..

PICTURES..

General saggyness of the XJ before I started. This pic is about 2 years old or so..

Day 1 of my junkrayd lift.  A few observations.-41kxu.jpg

Tonight after finishing the rears. New measure is 20.5 inches from center of rear wheels. I guess stock is 17 inches in the rear so I gained 3.5 inches lift or about 5-6 from what it was before I started. Front lift is not going well..

Day 1 of my junkrayd lift.  A few observations.-lsgpo.jpg

I *hope* it settles down a bit... Seems REALLY high after driving forever all bottomed out..

Day 1 of my junkrayd lift.  A few observations.-txm6d.jpg

Last edited by diskman; 08-28-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i6 HO

2 things
1. Good luck
2. Nice color jeep
Old 08-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Keep us posted. I am planning on doing the budget lift to, here in about a month. Keep us posted, and add some pics. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Alrighty.. Front and rear finally done. Decided to fab up my own coil spacers and I just don't see spending 40 for plastic disks. Total of $4.00 for steel from the local steel yard.

Anywho, netted about 3.5 in front over stock 17.5 and about 4 in the rear over 17 stock.

Some wicked u-joint binding on slow dips in the road. Need to install a TC Drop this weekend while scouting for a cheap SYE for my pre 96 242.

Also need to lengthen my front sway bar links. ugh. Running to the you-pull this weekend for other parts so will look for full size pickup REAR links and fab up something.

The new look is awesome. Handles like it did before I started too! Front axle is of course shifted to the drivers side a bit, but will fix that with some drilling later.

Will post pics tomorrow when Im more awake and there is more light.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

you used fullsize truck springs? they arent too stiff?

I didnt have to disconnect any brake lines or brackets for mine (pre-axle swap of course)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

In the clouds, wow looks great.