Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dash and Tail Lights will not work

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Lightbulb Dash and Tail Lights will not work

Alright let's start off from the beginning. My headlights and tail lights would not work but the dash and interior lights worked. The switch felt loose when pulling to turn on, so I checked around forums and came too the conclusion that my switch was toast.

Fast forward to yesterday when I could go buy the switch and throw it in (luckily I work during the day). So here comes the fun part, my headlights and interior cabin lights work (overhead and under the dash lights) but my tail lights and my dashboard lights do not work at all.

So today after work I rip the dashboard off again, checking the wires running into the harness that plugs into the switch. I also checked the fuses, then I changed them even though they were still good. I am going to check the bulbs but I don't think it is that.

I have a couple of ??? I want to run by some folks. Could the switch I got be faulty? Could it be a bad ground to the switch? Lastly could it be a unrelated issue that I am overlooking? Any thoughts, tricks or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Depending on your skills.. it might be easier to eliminate possibility of a bad switch by returning for another.. and yes you can get a bad new one.. I would try that before anything else..