Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dash & Tail Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dash & Tail Light Issues

I am an Expat working for an Major American Company in Australia. I have a 1995 Cherokee Classic Limited, R/H drive, automatic, fully loadedand have the following issues.

Headlights were weak, so I replaced the sealed beams with a HID kit purchased from E-bay. installed and all worked well. Had some feedback through the Headlight switch ( buzzing) if i turned the lights off prior to shutting down engine ( 30 second delay switch in light system). Then I had issues with the headlights flickering randomly, then the dash and tail lights failed.

Sooo, decided to go back to stock, and purchased some Phillips Nitestars bulbs, removed the HID ballasts and wiring and basically returned the vehicle to stock lighting, with the exception of the bulbs and the headlight globes. I also have some LED lights in the dome lights and dash to replace some of the burned out bulbs the vehicle came with ( A/C switches, and cigarette lighter, etc,etc.)

Now my issue is : Turn headlights on and they work, however I have no dash/console lights or tail lights. Everything else works. Brakelight, blinker all works normal.

If I take the headlight switch plunger and slowly move it between the detents, my headlights go out and my tail and dashlights work as advertised !!!! This will work in either direction, pushing plunger in or pulling plunger out. I have checked all the fuses, both under the dash and under the hood. I have changed headlight switches ( fearing a burned out swith from the HID ballasts?) twice with the same results.

Also, all lights work, just not at the time and switchposition that they are supossed to work. That tells me it"s not a fuse or wiring issue. The only wires disturbed were the Cannon plug and ground wire on during the replacement of teh headlight switch. Plug & play !!

Need some expert advise from an electrical Guru !!!!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:38 AM
RAH

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

I have the exact same problem. Looking forward to finding a fix
Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
RAH

Year: 1993