Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dash cluster gauge parts not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 02:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Dash cluster gauge parts not working

Hey guys. So i thought it would be a great idea to get a tachometer in my jeep to visualize what was going on with my idle. It was a real bear cat to get it in there but i did however some problems cropped up afterwards.

Currently the tachometer, odometer, speedometer, fuel gauge, turn signal indicators, and lights all work. The oil pressure gauge works intermittently. The temperature and battery voltage gauges do not work at all. I was recording my results after i first got it installed.
Heres a video demonstrating some of my issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGmj...ature=youtu.be

Im worried that perhaps the circuit was too far gone to be usable. Alot of the copper had gouges from the bulbs but also heavy corrosion and weird black spots spattered all over it. Some of the bolts were white and crusty and one was even rusted out. Here is a few images.

This is before trying to clean the light bulb circuit paths. I used a fine sanding pad that came with a rain x headlight restoration kit. I just wanted to remove the corrosion and not eat through the plastic or rub off all the copper.

And here is a couple that i cleaned up. You can see some strangeness here. Above the top left hole are a few of the black specs. And down by the speedo hole you see it looks almost burned.

Im wondering if i should transfer the circuit from my stock dash gauge cluster over to the one that is in there now. Thanks for any help you offer guys.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Try to clean them with electrical contact cleaner and scotchbrite nylon pad. The nylon pad wont remove the cooper and it will clean the contacts
Old 09-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 L

I think this is beyond cleaning. Like i said i sanded all the contacts down. with the pad from my headlight resto kit. In the second picture you can see instead of gray/green/brown corrosion its shiny again. But thats just for the circuit traces on the bulbs and all the bulbs appeared to be working.