Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 44 LSD

Old 06-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dana 44 LSD

can anyone tell me what diff this is?

i pulled the rear out of a 1987 cherokee pioneer didnt seem to have the tow package unless it was removed...

anyways i turned the one axle and was excited to see the other spin with it...

Name:  P1010153.jpg
Views: 2481
Size:  50.8 KB
Name:  P1010152.jpg
Views: 3725
Size:  50.7 KB
Name:  P1010151.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  48.3 KB
Name:  P1010150.jpg
Views: 2728
Size:  53.8 KB
Name:  P1010148.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  43.8 KB
Name:  P1010147.jpg
Views: 2244
Size:  47.0 KB
Old 06-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

im going with a 44....
looks like mine '87 pioneer
Old 06-03-2010, 03:36 PM

thanks i know if a 44 i pulled it for that reason but what LSD or locker is it was my question... sorry for not being clear about it.

when i turn the one axle the other spins in the same direction, even if i try and hold it still it goes the same direction plus the clutch packs near the spider gears seem to remind me of LSD
just weird because its all in a open carrier looking design
Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

my bad didnt really look at the pics. yes you have a lsd. but i bet its stock clutches and needs to be rebuilt. nice score though.

Last edited by xjoffroad; 06-03-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:43 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Definitely a LSD...You can tell by the clutch pack...Tj
Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 PM

anyone know the brand tho?

thats what i was mainly looking for to find out the brand...

when i took the pan off it had very nice fresh fluid in it and was also LSD fluid so someone took take of the diff... didnt smell burnt or anything..

i wanted to take it out see if its still good i didnt wanna rebuild it unless needed plus without knowing what brand it is i cant rebuild it..

so far im gonna need to get new pinion seal and a diff pan since this one has a small rust hole i found or made when trying to wire wheel it up some...

i was planning to rebuild the whole rear with new seals and bearings but im trying to keep the price down for now. i planned to do a good rebuild when i get new gears for it since its 3.07 gears which is gonna suck for a stockish auto 4.0 considering the factory is 3.55 im assuming its gonna fall on its face...

anyone also know a place to get a cheap dana 44 pan

also yeah i felt very lucky that day i was at harrys you pull it.... the worlds largest junkyard as they advertise and ive gone threw every jeep (about 120 or so) in there just getting ready to leave and seen a mocha yellowish nasty colored jeep, walked up to it and seen a odd shaped rear after looking at D35s and chrysler 8.25 all day.

once i figured out it was a dana 44 i wasent leaving till i got it out.
suprisingly everything came off nice and the u bolts seemed newer so im not sure if someone else put this under there or what.. but it was a 87 pioneer.
new shoes on it and the drums were probley on the end of passing inspection so i said hell with it im not keeping the junkyard drums for $15 a pop only to find out new price is about $57 a drum..

which brings me to my next thing, looking at doing a exploder disc brake conversion since i can save money over drums, shoes and a brake kit.

if i go to the one guy who pulls the stuff for me i can get everything i need except the shims to do the swap for $100.

anyways so far all ive paid was $62 for a junkyard dana 44 with a LSD in is which might still be in great shape
Old 06-04-2010, 04:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

use crown vic brakes on it.. or zj// less work then trying exploder setup
Old 06-04-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by PingPong
use crown vic brakes on it.. or zj// less work then trying exploder setup
you know last night i stumbled onto a write up for vic brakes but didnt really read it yet.. i seen someone posted elsewhere about them being more complicated...

ill have to give it a read thank you
Old 06-04-2010, 03:18 PM

anyone know what kind of diff this is? ive been checking pics all over cant seem to place it
Old 06-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by thecrew2999
anyone know what kind of diff this is? ive been checking pics all over cant seem to place it
its a dana44 just like you said in your first post
Old 06-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 IL6

It looks like a Trac-Loc carrier to me. You can tell by the clutch packs and the boxy look of the carrier. It was a stock LSD option for the Dana 44. The good news for you is that if you turn one wheel and the other turns in the same direction your clutch pack is not totally worn out. The bad news is those clutch packs do not usually last too long so you don't know how long it will still be good for. If you have it apart allready and want the LSD to work well and last for a while I would reccomend replacing the clutch discs. I think they run about $60 from Quadratec. If you go that route dont forget to add some friction modifier to your diff fluid when you re-fill it.

The only problem I have with the Dana 44 Trac-Loc carriers is that no one makes an inexpensive lunchbox locker for them. The cheapest option I found was a Powertrax no-slip which runs about $500. Mine Jeep is strictly a wheeler so I just welded up my Dana 44 Trac Loc for now cause I am gonna need to replace the carrier anyways when I re-gear.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:54 PM

thank you a bunch i kinda feared it being a trac lok ive heard some bad things about them...

ive never rebuilt one im assuming if i let it go and it goes out i can just rebuild it later?
not like gonna be a total loss ?

but $60 isnt bad i might have to take your advice and rebuild it...

see this isnt gonna be a offroad only deal this is my beater and i use it on the road 90% of the time but i got it for the winter and the LSD would be great..

another question how reliable is the trac lok gonna be? if i rebuild it can i expect it to last for some time?
if i am hard on it will it hold up for me?
i just got a 4.2 and i plan to build a stroker and this jeep will do some serious towing so disc brakes are coming as well..
im not gonna destroy this locker towing?
Old 06-04-2010, 11:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

It's not a locker... its a limited slip...

When you are going down the road, you will not notice it at all. When you turn you will not notice it all. It operates exactly like an open differential until one wheel begins to lose traction.

In an open differential, when that happens, all the power will go the spinning wheel. In a limited slip, some power still goes to the wheel with traction, but the majority will go to the wheel that is slipping. Hence the name limited slip.

With a locking differential the axles are locked and the power is split 50/50(or very closely to that).. so it doesn't matter which wheel is slipping.. they still get power.

Like the other posters have already said, Trac-Loc clutches are not known to be the greatest clutches. They tend to fail at what seems to be the most important time. Or they can last for years and years. But there is very little aftermarket support for the carrier. Since you have the axle open.. the best idea is to replace the clutch packs now, rather than wait till you have a problem and have to redo it.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 AM

sorry for typing locker in there... yeah i know how they function and what the differences are so thanks anyways for the heads up

i was mainly worried about wearing it out towing or beating on it around on paved roads...

i have this problem with tire slippage on paved roads

for $60 or around that ill buy the clutch packs but i wanted to hold out a little i need to get the axle under the jeep first before my 8.25 goes completely its making crazy sounds on decel now for the past few thousand miles..

im not a serious off roader so ill gladly keep this rear if it can last my abuse...

thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2010, 06:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Originally Posted by thecrew2999
sorry for typing locker in there... yeah i know how they function and what the differences are so thanks anyways for the heads up

i was mainly worried about wearing it out towing or beating on it around on paved roads...

i have this problem with tire slippage on paved roads

for $60 or around that ill buy the clutch packs but i wanted to hold out a little i need to get the axle under the jeep first before my 8.25 goes completely its making crazy sounds on decel now for the past few thousand miles..

im not a serious off roader so ill gladly keep this rear if it can last my abuse...

thanks in advance

That's one of the things you need to do to live successfully with a limited slip... keep the reins in on the right foot. Why do you think all the Chevy heads want Posi rear ends??? Its just GM's brand name of a limited slip differential.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dana 44 LSD