Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 35 issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dana 35 issues

I have a 1989 Cherokee that's been lifted and 4.88 gears installed. Well I installed a Aussie Locker in the rear diff which is a Dana 35. I took it out for a test drive and all seem good until I got home and I could the rear end cooking. I tore the cover off again and check everything out. It all looked looked good. I removed the bearing caps and that looked good. I retorqued the bolts to 47 ft lbs and put it all back together. Tried it again, drove it for about 30 miles pulling over about every 10 miles and it did not get as hot. I could hold my hand on the cover. The next day I put about 100 miles with it and it seems like it ran warm (I could hold my hand on the cover for 2 to 5 second). I did notice that the jeep for working a lil harder the last two days. Today I lost a front wheel hub today and changed that out. Took it out for a drive and the power loss was gone but the rear diff was still warm. My question is, could the locker cuz the rear diff to heat up and also the wheel hub could be part of the issues.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

When I had a set of 4.56 gears and a Lock Rite put in a pickup of mine I noticed the rear was hot as shi^ too. Was like that for a first few hundred miles. I think it cooled down after that though. Cant really say for sure this is normal or not, or good or bad, but hope this helps you feel a little better. btw, I put about 25k miles on that rear with no issues.