Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dana 30 ox locker question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default dana 30 ox locker question

i'm going to install the ox locker on my dana 30. i read somewhere that maybe the shims are on the outside of the bearing and not the inside so i might not need a set of set up bearings for this. anyone know if this is true? by the way i called powertrax about the lock right locker out back acting up and the guy at tech support was about as helpful as a kick to the groin....more to come. thanks guys
Old 05-04-2009, 04:15 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

yes thats true but you might still want to get one for the pinion to do the depth
Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

What is your Lock Rite Locker doing? I had them front and rear in my Toy truck for 5 years. So, I know a little about them.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:08 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

the lock right was kinda wierd. the install went pretty well. got it in there without taking the diff out and it went together nice. i did the little "spin the wheels" test and it seemed to be doing what it was supposed too. so i put the diff cover on, put fluid in it, set it on the ground, put it in gear and it drove fine. i got to a soft spot in the dirt and romped on it a little bit to get the tires spinning. only one spun the passenger side. so i'm thinkin "its supposed to turn both wheels". well i've gotta test the new front drive shaft i just put in so i put in in 4wd and drive around the yard some more. it seemed to be fine. so i stop and put the tranny in neutral to shift the transfer back down into 2wd. after i do that i put the tranny back into drive to pull forward into my parking/work spot so i can check out the diff again when it just sounds like teeth grinding. my brother in law said its coming from the rear diff. so we take the cover off again and put it in gear again. the couplers are just spinning against the locking gears. its almost like there isn't enough spring pressure to hold them out agains the gears. but that can't be becuase of the pinion shaft right? i know i installed it right. so i put it back in the air and do the "spin the wheels" test again and it seemed fine. thats my problem. did i mess something up when i did the burn out? it wasn't much..maybe a second or two and i wasn't realliy getting into it. it doesn't take much to spin those tires in soft sand.