Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 30 front - 93 xj - Leaks in 4wd ? How does that work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Dana 30 front - 93 xj - Leaks in 4wd ? How does that work?

I recently did front axle u-joints / right balljoints .. hate to say it but puilled the long right side axle shaft out 3 times in 2 weeks .. hated doing so knowing I could wreck the seal

how do those work?

when i replaced left side u-joint,not a drop of oil came out of axle .. but checked fluid after, was right on measure

I tested the 4x4 after doing that side ... the right side had a slight drip off steer knuckle .. then gone .. I thought it was residual, since i lifted up the left side pretty high .. measure was still ok afterward.. right side did have some fluid come out during 1st ujoint replace, but think I overfilled it a bit

2 weeks later, 2day, I tested 4x4 on some dirt .. noticed a small drip off right side steer knuckle again ..not much

question is: when 4x4 is NOT engaged, is it sealed some other way?

really hoping its residual in that long shaft, but dont think so .. thoughts?

will check fluid level in AM .. thanks

Last edited by dogkatcher; 11-29-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It's sealed the same in 2 and 4WD. Not unusual for the seals to leak after pulling the shafts, particularly if they are older. I'd drive it a while and see if the leak clears up. Sometimes it does. If it gets worse you'll have to replace the seals.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Radi
It's sealed the same in 2 and 4WD. Not unusual for the seals to leak after pulling the shafts, particularly if they are older. I'd drive it a while and see if the leak clears up. Sometimes it does. If it gets worse you'll have to replace the seals.

fluid level is same almost 2 weeks later, but didnt go into 4x4 mode since

gonna run it on the dirt ahwile to check front drive this wknd .. tryin to beat winter on front end work .. still 60* days in CO .. a very warm beginning to winter

hopin it may have residual gear oil in that long axle tube .. from u-joint swaps

is it typical? .. when 4x4 engaged, if seals are compromised, they leak only in 4x4? as in shaft moving with drive ? wouldnt think so, since it moves with wheel

guess I'll find out this wknd .. hopin to get sway bar links knocked out tomorrow .. then go romp on it

Mtn roads near Gross reservoir (northwest of Golden, west of Boulder, Co) .. a good stretch of dirt to test for gremlins .. hopin all is well, then i can fish a bit .. dinosaur age / big lake trout & tiger musky lurk in there .. but I have yet to catch anything that caliber

Last edited by dogkatcher; 11-29-2012 at 07:20 PM.