Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dana 30 diff oil change questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 Cherokee Sport(Factory Silverstone Metallic Clear Coat)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default dana 30 diff oil change questions

I am changing my diff oil front and back on my 2000 Cherokee Sport , do I have to add a additive or is Amsoil Full Synthetic 75w-90 good enough? also can I use Amsoil Severe Gear oil 75w 110 instead of 75w-90 ? I heared that the severe gear oil is better is that true? any comments would be greatly appreciated .
Old 12-12-2009, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

That's quite a few inter-related questions. I'm going to split them up to make the answers a bit easier to digest.

Do you need an additive?

Limited slip additive is the only additive that you might need when changing your gear lubes. But that would be only in the rear if you have a limited slip rear end. Leave the other ones on store shelf and keep your money in your pocket.

Which viscosity is better for me??

That depends on what you are going to be doing with your Jeep. Another questions is what is you local climate? Your profile shows British Columbia as your location. But what kind of temps do you get there? Is the climate more coastal with moderate temps, or do you get those severe minus degree days?

If you are planning on alot of hauling, towing a trailer, big tires, etc. Then you are going to want a fluid with a heavier viscosity. Like the 75w-110 you are asking about. The original point of the 110 was to try and conserve a bit of fuel economy over the 75w-140. But if you Jeep is your daily driver/parking lot prowler, then the 75w-90 is going to be fine. The differences between the full synthetic fluid and the Severe Gear resides mostly in the additive package in the fluid. The Severe Gear series are more intended towards people using their vehicles in heavier service.

Are Amsoil fluid better??

Well, I certainly think so... But I might just be a bit biased....
Old 12-12-2009, 10:05 AM

Default LIMITED SLIP?

You are correct Amsoil is a great oil , I think they actually invented syntetic oils in the 1970's , I used to have a Chevy s-10 truck and I got a lot of noise and chatter from the rear diff, so I put in Amsoil and the noise was gone , needless to say I was very impressed and drove that truck for many years after with no problems , thanks for the quick answers , one question though , how do I know if my XJ has limited slip in the rear? and is there a additive Amsoil makes for limited slip? I plan on putting a lift on my Jeep and bigger tires so I think I am going to go with the Amsoil severe gear oil application ,still not shure about the additive ? I already did the T-Case yesterday with Amsoil and plan on changing all the fluids over .

Originally Posted by whowey
That's quite a few inter-related questions. I'm going to split them up to make the answers a bit easier to digest.

Do you need an additive?

Limited slip additive is the only additive that you might need when changing your gear lubes. But that would be only in the rear if you have a limited slip rear end. Leave the other ones on store shelf and keep your money in your pocket.

Which viscosity is better for me??

That depends on what you are going to be doing with your Jeep. Another questions is what is you local climate? Your profile shows British Columbia as your location. But what kind of temps do you get there? Is the climate more coastal with moderate temps, or do you get those severe minus degree days?

If you are planning on alot of hauling, towing a trailer, big tires, etc. Then you are going to want a fluid with a heavier viscosity. Like the 75w-110 you are asking about. The original point of the 110 was to try and conserve a bit of fuel economy over the 75w-140. But if you Jeep is your daily driver/parking lot prowler, then the 75w-90 is going to be fine. The differences between the full synthetic fluid and the Severe Gear resides mostly in the additive package in the fluid. The Severe Gear series are more intended towards people using their vehicles in heavier service.

Are Amsoil fluid better??

Well, I certainly think so... But I might just be a bit biased....
Old 12-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Year: 1999

If you jack up the rear wheels and spin one by hand, if the other rear wheel wheel spins in the same direction, you have LSD, if it spins in the opposite direction, you do not.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Jack up the rearend to get the tires off the ground. Put the transmission in neutral and spin one of the tires by hand.
If the opposite tire spins in the same direction, you have a limited slip differential.
If the opposite tire spins in the opposite direction, you have an open rear end.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 AM

ok , tx