Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dana 30 axle swap or rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

My XJ's front axle took a poo on me. When the front driveshaft is in, makes a terrible clunking noise vibrates like hell! Removed the diff cover fluid had small metal shavings in it, gears are all intact visibly looks fine! When you turn the wheels with it on a hoist you'll hear it clunk every few rotations. Gotta be a blown pinion or something? Removed the front driveshaft so it's drivable! But need it trail ready asap! Bought the rebuild kit a few weeks back in hopes a friend could help with it. Things aren't looking so good for help with the rebuild. My current axle has all new parts: hub assembly's, balljoints, ujoints, axle shafts. You get the picture. 190,000 on the current axle. Got a quote for the rebuild without the parts which I have for $450!!! Ouch!!!! I'm at a complete loss, not sure what to do, keep mechanic shopping or say screw it and gamble on a used d30???? I'd upgrade but can't afford it yet, just wanna wheel again! Thanks for the advice in advance!

Last edited by NikkiXJRadford; 04-03-2015 at 02:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Do you have all the tools and parts to replace the damaged ones? You can do axle repair by yourself easily. If the pinion is screwed, you'll need a new ring and pinion. So installing that is a pretty in depth repair that requires patience and speciality tools. Rebuild kits just come with seals and bearings I thought? Correct me if I'm wrong. If you are able to repair the parts yourself, set aside a day and go to town. Good luck with your repair
Old 04-03-2015, 02:42 AM

Kit I picked up has everything needed to rebuild the differential! Shims, bearings, seals, gasket even new bolts! Paid about $90 for the kit. Unfortunately lacking on tools and a garage I could borrow to rebuild the darn thing. Just hate to mess around with swapping axles and take the gamble of having issues with the swap! Thanks for the input! Much appreciated!!!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Good luck, hope your pinion is broke. An axle swap is very easy too. I would pressure wash the old axle and paint her up to look pretty(after inspecting everything is in good order) then jack your jeep and start putting the from the old to the new axle
Old 04-03-2015, 03:26 AM

Thinking the pinion bearing is the issue! Hoping I can find someone to help me with the seals and bearings just rebuild it up. My axle is beautiful lol just painted it black a few weeks back, all new parts. Going to make a few calls and see if I can't get some help with it. Just hate to gamble on another axle that may need further work :/ Times running out quick though, hoping to have it wheeling again May 1st!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM

Default GO FOR IT !

Originally Posted by NikkiXJRadford
Thinking the pinion bearing is the issue! Hoping I can find someone to help me with the seals and bearings just rebuild it up. My axle is beautiful lol just painted it black a few weeks back, all new parts. Going to make a few calls and see if I can't get some help with it. Just hate to gamble on another axle that may need further work :/ Times running out quick though, hoping to have it wheeling again May 1st!

Rebuilding one isn't all that hard. take out the axles, take off the drive shaft yoke, pull the carrier & ring gear ( marking the bearing caps first as they MUST go back where they came from) knock-out the pinion and start changing bearing races.

Go to you tube and spend some time watching "how-to" videos.

Easy for me as I've done dozens of them but I didn't know how when I started either. The worse part is sometimes you have to knock-out a pinion race to put shims behind it to re-set pinion depth. Most times it's just a straight replacement thing.

You do need a bending beam or dial type inch lb torque wrench. A clicker won't work cause you have to measure the drag of the pinion bearings with is as you turn it after install. They usually need about 10-15 inch lbs drag after the yoke nut is tight.

Get some white grease and check the contact pattern both driving and coasting and you're done.

Believe me, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to do this and once you've done it you can pay for your parts by doing them for other guys.

And of course......Best of luck to you...

Dan

__________________________________________________ ______________

2001 XJ 241k miles unmolested......so far