Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cylinder head question:

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 litre
Default Cylinder head question:

Okay maybe a couple. 91 XJ, 4.0l (inline 6cyl), FI, AT, 4x4

Well, my overheating issue seems to be a more serious problem than I thought. I think the head gasket may be the culprit. Saw a tinge of an oil rainbow in the water when flushing the radiator. Other than that......none of the other "common" symptoms (creamy oil, steam out the exhaust pipe). It runs fine on the road, except when I get it on the freeway then it starts to overheat. I have replaced the w/p, t-stat, temp sensor, water outlet (I broke it, LOL). Flushed the system, when I got it, the coolant reminded me of the Mississippi River. This is going to be my day-vehicle and my weekend vehicle, so I want to get it up to snuff.

So here's a 3 part question for y'all:

Part 1- How can I tell which head this is? It's a cast iron one. From reading here, there were 2 basic flavors/models. One was a 7160(?)

Part 2- If I were to go and buy one.........who has the best deal with most reliability? Been out of the Jeep market for about 10 years, and now back in.

Part 3- How much is a head rebuild, and how long will it take. (sorry, I have never had to have this done on a vehicle, so I am comparing Cost vs. Time between buying one or rebuilding this one.)

Last edited by Doc Brnard; 08-25-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I picked one up from a junk yard for 35 dollars off of a 1993 h.o and put it on my daughters 87 using her intake and exhaust and it is working good. It took me about 4 hrs to swap.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 PM

the radiator may need replaced the core may be clogged. The clutch on the mechanical fan may need replaced also.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:35 PM

LOL, yeah, a new core was the next purchase. Surprised they are so inexpensive. $110, not bad. While in there, the fan clutch will also be replaced.

At this point, even if it doesn't need to be, I am trying to replace whatever I can for new parts.

Blaster, LOL, I hope I can find a head, and you didn't take the last junkyard head. I'm in Mira Loma, just on the other side of the hill. Did you have it rebuilt? If so, approx how much did it cost to have it machined, etc. I know the gasket kit is roughly 60 bucks.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Brnard
LOL, yeah, a new core was the next purchase. Surprised they are so inexpensive. $110, not bad. While in there, the fan clutch will also be replaced.

At this point, even if it doesn't need to be, I am trying to replace whatever I can for new parts.

Blaster, LOL, I hope I can find a head, and you didn't take the last junkyard head. I'm in Mira Loma, just on the other side of the hill. Did you have it rebuilt? If so, approx how much did it cost to have it machined, etc. I know the gasket kit is roughly 60 bucks.
No I just inspected it real good. Maybe I got lucky. Just keep a close eye on the head between the valves thats where they crack. I picked it up at ecology in Adelanto. Another good thing is to get a 3 row radiator. I picked one up online for a couple hundred bucks. I did have to pull 2 heads to get a good one though. P.S. the casting is stamped on the top on the intake side.

Last edited by blasterman93; 08-26-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 AM

You know what year ranges? You said you got a 93......and put in on an 87..
Old 08-26-2010, 01:47 AM

87 to90 used casting # 2686. 91 to 95 used 7120. 96 to 99 used 0630. I installed the 7120 in place of the 2686 but had to use the intake and exhaust for the 2686 due to the 87 being the renix system and the 7120 being the OBD1 and being in cali it has to pass smog.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:49 AM

Thumbs up

Hope this info helps you out. I will look for any responses from you on a later date to see how it worked for you.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Cherokee FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock solid at 195 (T-stat rating) on the freeway all the way home!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can focus on what I want to do, rather on what I have to do.

Bad radiator. Got to work this AM, water gushing out of front end (never happened before).

BTW, for anyone interested, found an awesome mechanic. 22 years as a GM "troubleshooter". In Upland, CA. Killer rates. PM me if you need/want his contact info. He focuses on Jags now, but knows his way around a Jeep. I even was "okayed" to buy my own parts.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:59 PM

Cherokee FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rock solid at 195 (T-stat rating) on the freeway all the way home!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can focus on what I want to do, rather on what I have to do.

Bad radiator. Got to work this AM, water gushing out of front end (never happened before).

BTW, for anyone interested, found an awesome mechanic. 22 years as a GM "troubleshooter". In Upland, CA. Killer rates. PM me if you need/want his contact info. He focuses on Jags now, but knows his way around a Jeep. I even was "okayed" to buy my own parts.
Congrats good to hear. did it split the seam on one of the end tanks? What is the next thing on the list?
Old 08-27-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by blasterman93
Congrats good to hear. did it split the seam on one of the end tanks? What is the next thing on the list?
No, at the supply on the bottom. Go figure...... Would have expected at the top.

Warning: If your cooling system is full of mud, and you cannot document why (bought used)......be ready for component failure if you use sodium citrate to "clean" the cooling system. It does the job, but sometimes the gunk it removes is sealing holes and cracks.

2" lift, baby!!!!!!!! Then 30" tires. Then paint job. Going to see if I can mod the intake to a close facsimile of a military humvee intake. Already have ideas to do so, and remain "street/CA smog legal". Damn, smog laws. A huge PITA.

The "look" is already decided on. Going......mini humvee (Op Iraqi-Freedom scheme). But no body changes (unless I can find someone who can one-off sheet metal front fenders and a hood. Picking up real HMMWV front bumper this weekend to cut down to size. (In for a penny, in for a pound) Hell, they stole the front grill design for a Jeep. So the least I can do is return the favor.

Discussing particulars with a civilian contractor to install the gun turret (who makes his living doing such) in the same location as the rear sun roof. Getting excited again about my XJ!!!!!!!! Rear Interior, including rear seat.......KYAGB (kiss your a$$ good-bye). Need the room for turret/gunner support/structure.

Screw it! Y'all have me beat on a bunch of stuff. But who has an actual (and completely functional) gun turret that can fit.....well......M249/M240/M60/M2HB (Oh, BTW, I have prop versions of each....Mk19....getting ready to finish......)? LOL, none of you. I will be the first.

Okay, gotta tone it down. But this will be so cool! And if not careful.....a Major "Ticket Magnet"

Yeah, I am a XJ freak. And completely proud of that fact.

Last edited by Doc Brnard; 08-27-2010 at 01:35 AM.