Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CV Axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default CV Axle

Need some help figuring out which length cv axle I need. I have a 99 Cherokee Sport. I was looking through the older threads but couldn't find anything about the length. Preciate it!

Last edited by Bmartee; 10-27-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:14 PM

Nevermind....found the problem. My parts were displaying under the wrong vehicle. As you were.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:40 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Grand Cherokee? Ain't no CV axles in a Cherokee.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:19 PM

Really? So what would the part be called that connects to the hub assembly and slides into the axle itself?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Just an axle shaft; it uses a single-cardan Spicer universal joint. Grand Cherokees shipped with an Rzeppa CV joint on their axles. These joints are common on FWD cars.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:31 PM

Okay gotcha. Yeah, I'm looking at possibly needing to replace both of those shafts but hey're pretty expensive. Would it make more sense and be as cost effective to change out the entire axle to one that doesn't use the axle shafts?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmartee
Really? So what would the part be called that connects to the hub assembly and slides into the axle itself?
That would be called an axle shaft...................."CV" refers to the term "Constant Velocity" which is a different type of joint than the "U-joint" style used on the Cherokee...............
The "U-joint" design is NOT a Constant Velocity joint............
Old 10-28-2014, 02:33 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Nope not at all. 2WD axles are rare and there's a fair amount of labour in swapping one versus just an axle shaft.

Why do the shafts need to be replaced?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:35 PM

I have this clunking sound when I turn left or right. I've read through a few posts here and on other sites and it seems to be the joint on the axle shaft is going bad. I've been trying to diagnose this problem for several months, threw a bunch of parts at it and still haven't fixed it.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Firehawk068
That would be called an axle shaft...................."CV" refers to the term "Constant Velocity" which is a different type of joint than the "U-joint" style used on the Cherokee...............
The "U-joint" design is NOT a Constant Velocity joint............
So are you saying the Cherokee only has u-joints and not cv joints? Because what I'm seeing is the u-joint at the wheel, but then the axle shaft comes out and has a cv joint on the end passing through the hub.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:39 PM

So are you saying the Cherokee only has u-joints and not cv joints? Because what I'm seeing is the u-joint at the wheel, but then the axle shaft comes out and has a cv joint on the end passing through the hub.
Ohhh...I see what you're saying now. At the end of the axle shaft is the u-joint. Sorry, this is new terrain for me. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the Cherokee so I'm sef-sufficient with repairing it. Still riding the learning curve. So would the "clunking" point to bad u-joints?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

What a stock XJ axle looks like:

CV joint as used on a ZJ or WJ:

Old 10-28-2014, 05:05 PM

Ohhh...I see what you're saying now. At the end of the axle shaft is the u-joint. Sorry, this is new terrain for me. I'm trying to familiarize myself with the Cherokee so I'm sef-sufficient with repairing it. Still riding the learning curve. So would the "clunking" point to bad u-joints?
Correct..............The Cherokee has U-joints, not CV joints at the wheel hub.
You can check those u-joints easily.............Jack up the wheel. Take a pry bar, or something similar and lock the inner axle shaft(the long part that goes inside the axle tube)to keep it stationary, while you try to rotate the wheel...................If you see any play at all in the u-joints, replace them...

It really isn't that difficult a job, but it involves pulling the wheel hub bearing assembly (you will usually need a slide-hammer for that with a hub adaptor- easily rented at Autozone cause they rust in place in the steering knuckle) and also pulling the diff cover off , and removing the spider pin, to remove the c-clips that hold the axles in.
So you will need a new gasket and some gear oil to refill..........
Old 10-28-2014, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Firehawk068
Correct..............The Cherokee has U-joints, not CV joints at the wheel hub.
You can check those u-joints easily.............Jack up the wheel. Take a pry bar, or something similar and lock the inner axle shaft(the long part that goes inside the axle tube)to keep it stationary, while you try to rotate the wheel...................If you see any play at all in the u-joints, replace them...

It really isn't that difficult a job, but it involves pulling the wheel hub bearing assembly (you will usually need a slide-hammer for that with a hub adaptor- easily rented at Autozone) and also pulling the diff cover off , and removing the spider pin, to remove the c-clips that hold the axles in.
So you will need a new gasket and some gear oil to refill..........
Really? Well maybe the problem is deeper than I'm thinking. I thought it may be the hub assembly and removed the left side. Once I did that, the axle shaft is loose in the axle. I was able to pull it out with no problem at all. Could that indicate a deeper problem?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:28 PM

It's been awhile since I was inside my D30..............Maybe the axles just slide out with no c-clips to hold them in?
I know the rear axle has c-clips........

Quick Reply: CV Axle