Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cutting the quarter panel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default cutting the quarter panel?

i see a few guys doing it. like the lower rear of the quarter panel. does that mess with the structure at all? what exactly do you cut away?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

You don't cut it away unless you plan on welding/adding metal , making reilf cuts an folding metal in is the easiest and less labor intensive. Search there are write-ups on this.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:13 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just cut it were I wanted and capped it with a piece of sheet metal. Took about 2 hours total.
Old 07-24-2010, 03:15 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

if you are talking about this:

noone can give a real yes or no answer.

basically let me put it to you this way. i have wheeled and flexed mine out and i do not have the little dimples that appear by the 4x4 sign (body warpage) some people do. I personally believe it is all how you tie it back in.

do the cut and fold method then a couple tack welds lots of sealer and lots of rivets/screws and you will be fine
Old 07-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I just did this same cut and fold on my 2000. The process took several hours including cutting, priming, drilling riveting and using seam sealer to keep mud etc. outside.

Yes you will cut some structure, and many folk will go off on weakening the unibody - and they are essentially correct.

That being said, the driver side Quarter panel on mine had a tennis ball sized hole on the outside and inner structure, so how much worse could it get?

I also have plans to gusset where I removed the structure under the light and out towards the outside corner, and a plate that will wrap around to the remaining 1" body line.

This will more than replace the pinch seam removed, and it looks pretty sweet IMHO.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

I say cut it.. and do it right. cut and fold. I am here to tall you that the xj unit body is tougher then ppl give credit. I have been wheeling and beating on a chop top xj for a few yrs. NO I havent cut the rear quaters yet. but I am getting ready to comp cut my xj
Old 07-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Member

ok well here is the problem. the po cut away and kinda banged it up in the rear to fit a bumper or something lol .thats what im taking it as because there was no bumper when i bought it. thats why i got it so cheap lol . but in any case ill take some pictures and get them posted so maybe we can figure this out. because i also have a new bumper i got of a tj that i cut the mounts out and im in the process of making new mounts.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 96_xj
if you are talking about this:

noone can give a real yes or no answer.

basically let me put it to you this way. i have wheeled and flexed mine out and i do not have the little dimples that appear by the 4x4 sign (body warpage) some people do. I personally believe it is all how you tie it back in.

do the cut and fold method then a couple tack welds lots of sealer and lots of rivets/screws and you will be fine

yes this is exactly what im taking about btw