Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Custom RAM air induction through HOOD - Please comment on my idea

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Custom RAM air induction through HOOD - Please comment on my idea

Hi All,

Here is what I am thinking. First I ordered a 63mm thottle body with brass plate in it. I want to get more cold air to the unit without spending huge sums of money like those overpriced K&N kits that are not really cold air to begin with since they have no outside inlet to draw fresh air. That said here is my idea. Im am drawing it in CAD but cant post it here..

Im going to run a stainless steel pipe through the hood over the stock air box intake. Im going to weld it to the hood and rubber boot it wider on the bottom. Im then going to modify the airbox with a male adapter to the boot coming off the hood so the hood can open and close. When it closes the seal is tight. Im going to enclose a K&N high flow filter inside the box TIGHT with no leaks.. I think this will FORCE cold air down the pipe better then anything I have seen including the restrictive snorkel.

There should be no bends in the pipe or I will keep the turns to a minimal using maybe a 45 degree angle to com in the front of the airbox or through the top. Everything will be sealed so none of the hot air from under teh hood gets into the airbox.

What do you think? Any problems with this other then water getting in? I was thinking water might be a real problem like this..

Last edited by buysellny; 11-17-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

You could add one of the hood vents from the '98 5.9L Grand Cherokee's that were mounted in that location. They have a drip tray, and are rear facing to prevent rain from being forced in while driving. Just a thought.
Name:  c6ced97f.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  142.1 KB
Old 11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

To get the true effect of ram air (high pressure air at speed), u must mount the hood scoop very close to the front edge of the hood or mount an intake (tube) in the grille area. The key to true ram air is having the intake in the high pressure air in front of the vehicle, otherwise, u just have a cold air intake. Water intake can always be an issue and must be considered.

Gotta get creative, sounds like u r on the right track, git 'er done and post pics.

Remember, ALL ram air intakes are also cold air intakes but a cold air intake is not necessarily ram air.

These pics are not of the XJ but show how to get the high pressure air in front of the grille area to the air box.
Attached Thumbnails Custom RAM air induction through HOOD - Please comment on my idea-006.jpg   Custom RAM air induction through HOOD - Please comment on my idea-007.jpg  

Last edited by djb383; 11-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
To get the true effect of ram air (high pressure air at speed), u must mount the hood scoop very close to the front edge of the hood or mount an intake (tube) in the grill area. The key to true ram air is having the intake in the high pressure air in front of the vehicle, otherwise, u just have a cold air intake. Water intake can always be an issue and must be considered.

Gotta get creative, sounds like u r on the right track, git 'er done and post pics.

Remember, ALL ram air intakes are also cold air intakes but a cold air intake is not necessarily ram air.
Thanks guys! take a look at this!! ELECTRIC SUPERCHARGER FOR 50 BUCKS? Sounds like a great idea.. I WONDER1 ANY IDEA ON THIS?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...item4aa655ba32
Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Save your money.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
To get the true effect of ram air (high pressure air at speed), u must mount the hood scoop very close to the front edge of the hood or mount an intake (tube) in the grille area. The key to true ram air is having the intake in the high pressure air in front of the vehicle, otherwise, u just have a cold air intake. Water intake can always be an issue and must be considered.

These pics are not of the XJ but show how to get the high pressure air in front of the grille area to the air box.
wow.. i dont see enough room for that..
Old 11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

That's what I mean when I say "gotta get creative", that's the trick on the XJ.....it's easy to do on a V6 Saturn Vue.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the second thread this guys posted with those *****y little Ebay superchargers in it.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 PM

Year: 2001 2-door

I like the ram air idea, but it only works at higher speed. Not much good on the trail. A blower(supercharger), however, works at any speed. But it will cost ya.
There is no easy, cheap way to get more air into your cylinders. How about nitrous
Old 09-16-2017, 10:52 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Thread from the dead!

Would it truly be a ram air if it was still filtered through the stock airbox? That seems like quite a bottle neck.