Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Quality replacement parts ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Quality replacement parts ?

Jeep is all stock 93 xj 2dr sport with 276k miles. I just replaced the OEM original shocks with bilstein 4600's and the front bearing hubs with Timkens. Very happy everything came off without breaking any bolts ! Now, I need to take care of the rest of the front end. I will be replacing the ball joints with Spicers. I will need to do the track bar, tie rods, Tres, etc. Basically, replace everything. I've been reading about how MOOG is not as good as it used to be, Crown is a crap shoot, and OMIX is total crap in many past posts on this forum. I am finding out that it may be easier to find quality parts by putting a small lift kit on, but my daughter does not want a lift. Repeat... no lift 😔... it's her rig, so my hands are tied. Anyway, are there any aftermarket parts companies that have improved their quality and that can be recommended/trusted these days? I really hope that these replacements will last the rest of the vehicle life and not have to redo them due to poor part quality. It's a daily driver with little to no off roading.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

NAPA. It's basically OEM quality.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I rebuilt my front end about 2 years ago. Dorman knuckles, Spicer u-joints, Moog hubs, ball joints, tie rod ends, adjusters, etc. All the parts were of good quality and fitment. I definitely felt that the Moog parts were of good quality and the prices (for the whole job) did not break the bank. I overpaid for my Moog hubs (got them at a local Advance), but I ended up getting a $40 speed perk for each one, so it worked out (they happen to be having a double perk promotion on Moog at the time). Most of the other stuff was purchased on Amazon.

Napa wanted around $300 for -each- knuckle. Yes a chunk of cast steel with no moving parts. I got the same brand (Dorman) on Amazon one for $55 and one for $100.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:01 PM

Good to hear Moog is doing better... I'll check out NAPA too. Did anyone use moog coil springs? From what I've read, it seems that I'll want the constant rate, but what I've found online so far are all variable rate. She may haul a trailer at times so not sure if that makes a difference for the front whether I put either one on. I'm eventually going to be putting heavy duty leaf springs on back and hope things level out ok. Btw, what is the name of the thing at the top of the coils that it sits in ? Is it an isolator ? I need to replace that but haven't found one yet that doesn't add lift.

Last edited by mamawrencher; 09-11-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

If you go Napa buy the NCP line and not the PCC line parts. Will cost you more but I believe them to be better parts.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 AM

Thanks for the input on which NAPA parts to choose. I'm not sure I can stomach the cost difference... drag link pcc approx $55 - ncp $140, but in many cases you get what you pay for so I'm keeping the option open.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by mamawrencher
Thanks for the input on which NAPA parts to choose. I'm not sure I can stomach the cost difference... drag link pcc approx $55 - ncp $140, but in many cases you get what you pay for so I'm keeping the option open.
That is a big difference. Huge. Tough call on whether it is actually worth that much more to get the better line parts.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: Renix 4.0

When I did my front end, I used Timken bearings and Spicer ball joints and u-joints. You can get them for less online than from a retail store. I may have used Amazon, Rock Auto or Parts Geek.

I've been happy with the many Crown Auto parts I have purchased, including coil/leaf springs. I know you said NO LIFT, but they sell a HD spring combo that gives about 1.5"-2" of lift over stock and looks correct on the vehicle.

Before

Old 09-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

Moog problem solver is usually good. Sometimes
Mopar is the best choice for rough use.

Here is a Jeep dealer who sells online at discounts.
https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/auto-parts/jeep
Old 09-16-2017, 12:18 PM

I like the look of the Jeep with the Crown leaf and coils ! I think I could get away with that. Thanks for the input and info everyone. I hope to get it all done before the snow flies and the Jeep has it's first winter in the rust belt.