Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

curious about getting a new jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Talking curious about getting a new jeep

i currently have a 1996 cherokee but its 2wheel drive and last time i tried to go off roading had to get towed out :P and i have saved up some money but i dont want to spend it on my jeep if it just wont be able to keep up with my fiends' broncos and wranglers. so im just curious if anybody knows where i could find a 1997 or newer cherokee thats all wheel drive with I6 and 5 spd that is any where around SAN ANTONIO TX ? if i do find one it will be a daily driver so it cant be a trail buggy or anything to extreme or have 1000000 miles on it because it will need to last a few years.

so what would u pay for a 1996 cherokee sport, 4 door, white, i6, 5spd, only 1 small spot of rust in the roof, 2wheel drv, and 38000 miles.

and the only reason im considering this is because my parents are going to europe in a few months, but they aren't taking my brother and me so they are making it up to us by letting is do something special (like getting a new jeep )

edit: oh and ill only be checking this a couple times per night so pls be patient for replies. and Thanks for help

Last edited by utfan; 03-03-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by utfan
i currently have a 1996 cherokee but its 2wheel drive and last time i tried to go off roading had to get towed out :P and i have saved up some money but i dont want to spend it on my jeep if it just wont be able to keep up with my fiends' broncos and wranglers. so im just curious if anybody knows where i could find a 1997 or newer cherokee thats all wheel drive with I6 and 5 spd that is any where around SAN ANTONIO TX ? if i do find one it will be a daily driver so it cant be a trail buggy or anything to extreme or have 1000000 miles on it because it will need to last a few years.

so what would u pay for a 1996 cherokee sport, 4 door, white, i6, 5spd, only 1 small spot of rust in the roof, 2wheel drv, and 38000 miles.

and the only reason im considering this is because my parents are going to europe in a few months, but they aren't taking my brother and me so they are making it up to us by letting is do something special (like getting a new jeep )

edit: oh and ill only be checking this a couple times per night so pls be patient for replies. and Thanks for help
wait, u have a 96 cherokee, with only 38,000 miles on it? somethings wrong with this picture.....
also, i doubt you could find a 97 cherokee with less than 50,000 miles on it and 4x4, i looked forever and got my 97 back in 2006 and it had 125k miles, it now has 160k miles. If you take care of your XJ it could last you to 300k miles or over.
you might be able to find one in the 80k mile range, but its going to take some looking!
you have to take into consideration your trying to sell a jeep that is 14 years old and its 2x4. im guessing everythings stock. so if everything is in perfect shape besides the rust spot, i'd say it's probably worth maybe 5k with those miles and that year model. i wouldn't buy it just cuz of the 2x4 part but go to kelly blue book and see how much its worth.

Last edited by Metlic53; 03-03-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:52 PM

yay i didnt really want 2 wheel drive but my dads "either you buy this, or u get the minivan" argument convinced me to get it

and yup 38000 miles which is what im hoping would help sell it because it isnt 4x4, i also put in 4 6.25" polk db component speakers with a kenwood head unit, and i got some 5 spoke rimes and tires that were from a newer wrangler for $150 off craigs list which look pretty nice, i hope those add ons will ad something to the value

Also im not expecting anywhere near the current miles that i have, im just hoping something around 100 thousand miles, but 80 thousand would be great. and im having trouble finding anything after 1997 that even matches what im looking for, i found 1 jeep but it looks like !@#$ lol.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by utfan
yay i didnt really want 2 wheel drive but my dads "either you buy this, or u get the minivan" argument convinced me to get it

and yup 38000 miles which is what im hoping would help sell it because it isnt 4x4, i also put in 4 6.25" polk db component speakers with a kenwood head unit, and i got some 5 spoke rimes and tires that were from a newer wrangler for $150 off craigs list which look pretty nice, i hope those add ons will ad something to the value

Also im not expecting anywhere near the current miles that i have, im just hoping something around 100 thousand miles, but 80 thousand would be great. and im having trouble finding anything after 1997 that even matches what im looking for, i found 1 jeep but it looks like !@#$ lol.
how does it have that low mileage? did it sit somewhere for a long time? cause sitting isnt good for a car, things will start to go out. that is one thing people will consider when your trying to sell it.
i'd just go onto craigslist and type in jeep cherokee, dont mess with year model cause that stuff doesnt work half the time. just look for 97 and up, it will take some time and research, trust me, i had to do it and got a great deal on my XJ and it was in IMACULATE condition, garage kept never been off road.
post some pictures of your XJ. i wanna see one with low miles.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96
Engine: 2.5l I-4
Default '97 Cherokee

Blue Book on a '97 Cherokee is between $3,500 and $4,500, so for that kind of mileage you're looking for it's probably the latter. That being said, nobody pays Blue Book. But like it was said before, you'd be hard pressed to find one with that mileage, but, IMHO, it really doesn't matter as much as a complete maintenance record. If a hi-mileage car has seen timely oil changes and the necessary basic maintenance, it may actually be in better shape than a lo-miles neglected one. I drive a RWD 5-speed I-4 (at the moment), I got it cheap, it's got average mi for a '96, it can handle moderate off-roading, it's good on gas (for a Jeep), adequate on freeways, no outlandish maintenance needed, easy to work on, and a perfect DD. I love it. But I used to own an '89 I-6 with Selec-Trac with all the doo-dads you can think of, the six has it's advantages and so does the 4WD, but I do not regret my 4-banger...
Old 03-06-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Metlic53
how does it have that low mileage? did it sit somewhere for a long time? cause sitting isnt good for a car, things will start to go out. that is one thing people will consider when your trying to sell it.
i'd just go onto craigslist and type in jeep cherokee, dont mess with year model cause that stuff doesnt work half the time. just look for 97 and up, it will take some time and research, trust me, i had to do it and got a great deal on my XJ and it was in IMACULATE condition, garage kept never been off road.
post some pictures of your XJ. i wanna see one with low miles.

i got the jeep from an old retired couple who towed it on a trailer behind an rv most of the time, which explained the mileage. and i do just search for jeep cherokee on craigs list. and ill try to put some pictures up once it stops raining.