Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cruise control not working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default Cruise control not working?

It didnt work when i bought it. Its a 95 cherokee sport. The cruise buttons located on the steering wheel??? I think its odd but whatever.

From what i can see all the wires in the engine bay are good. Idk abiut fuses? Which fuse box do i look in? The one under the hood or in the dash? Atleast i think theres 1 in the dash...

I dont have problems with my heat so i dont think its vaccum but can double check. Even tho i think its ok.

Any advise or opinions or what not would be nice.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by Axel1831
It didnt work when i bought it. Its a 95 cherokee sport. The cruise buttons located on the steering wheel??? I think its odd but whatever.

From what i can see all the wires in the engine bay are good. Idk abiut fuses? Which fuse box do i look in? The one under the hood or in the dash? Atleast i think theres 1 in the dash...

I dont have problems with my heat so i dont think its vaccum but can double check. Even tho i think its ok.

Any advise or opinions or what not would be nice.
My '99 has the cruise buttons on the steering wheel spokes. When my cruise failed, I found the problem was due to the clockspring.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cherryokee

My '99 has the cruise buttons on the steering wheel spokes. When my cruise failed, I found the problem was due to the clockspring.
Sweet. Im a noobie so heres probly a dumb question but where is the clockspring located and what do i have to take apart to get at it?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

The clockspring is a flexible circuit that looks like a ribbon with flat copper conductors inside. It lives in the steering column beneath the steering wheel. Not too tough to replace - except maybe pulling the wheel can be a little difficult for some.

I assumed that you have no cruise indicator light on the dash - is that a correct assumption? Before you delve into clockspring replacement you should follow through on your original intentions - keep it cheap and simple first - look for fuses and vacuum connectors. The vacuum should have a tee fitting branching off the main vac line at the cruise control motor. The fuse should be in the Power Distribution Module (PDM).

Last edited by Cherryokee; 03-26-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
The clockspring is a flexible circuit that looks like a ribbon with flat copper conductors inside. It lives in the steering column beneath the steering wheel. Not too tough to replace - except maybe pulling the wheel can be a little difficult for some.

I assumed that you have no cruise indicator light on the dash - is that a correct assumption? Before you delve into clockspring replacement you should follow through on your original intentions - keep it cheap and simple first - look for fuses and vacuum connectors. The vacuum should have a tee fitting branching off the main vac line at the cruise control motor. The fuse should be in the Power Distribution Module (PDM).
So if this isnt the problem what else could be wrong?
Old 04-02-2011, 02:34 PM

What about fuses that are under the dash? While i was replacing my drivers side seat i found 1 and am not sure where it came from or what it does. Any ideas?