Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cruise Control *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Cruise Control *HELP*

Name:  sos.gif
Views: 190
Size:  12.1 KB

Oh elders of the Cherokee XJ..I need your help.

Yes, I'm sorry that I'm bringing up this topic again but I have searched and can't find a definite answer. I have Name:  google.gif
Views: 194
Size:  2.0 KB and have read results from here, NAXJA, JeepForum, etc. but can't find an answer.

My XJ:
Cherokee Sport (originally without Cruise Control)
stock except for an RC 3" lift, 784 injectors, bored TB, headers, aftermarket stereo

I bought a Cruise Control system for a '99-'01 from a member in this forum who had similar problems but never got any definite answers as well.

The CC system was basically a plug and play install. Everything bolted/hooked up, all the wiring was all there and so was the vacuum line.
The problem is that after install, the CC does not work. The CC light on the gauge cluster does not turn on when the CC is engaged. The horns work, just that the CC light or CC itself doesn't work when engaged.

I have traced the vacuum line and mine is still new looking. No cracks, no leaks and it's still pliable like new. I've read that maybe its the switches, and I've replaced those and I'm on my 2nd CC clock spring and still no go.

I've also read that the ECU might need a reflashing from the dealership. Can that be right? Will reflashing the ECU help to activate the CC? I mean, on all my reading, no one has had this problem other than myself and the PO of this CC system. Everyone else basically installed it and was up and running, those that had probs were simple fixes.

If anybody knows, how much does a reflash of the ECU cost? Been dealing with this for close to 2 months now every time I have time to mess around with it.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Have you checked to see if the fuse was ommited or is blown? Make sure you have power before you go any further. It would not be out of the ordinary for you to have the fuse missing if your truck didnt' come with CC.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cherockee
Have you checked to see if the fuse was ommited or is blown? Make sure you have power before you go any further. It would not be out of the ordinary for you to have the fuse missing if your truck didnt' come with CC.
I am so glad you mentioned this!! Where is this fuse?!!! That was the first thing I tried to look for and I've looked in the owner's manual and there is no mention of a CC fuse. I've checked the fuse panel in the pass side kick plate and the fuse/relay box in the engine bay.

Thanx
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Hey everyone,

Anybody else have any idea that I can probably try this coming weekend?

Thanx
Old 06-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

I would check the resistance in your switches. It's easy to do, and will tell you if they are working correctly or not. When my 98 was doing this after my install, I checked the switches and discovered the guy had sold me 99 switches instead of 98s as advertised. The correct resistances are listed in the Service Manual. I could tell you what they are for a 98 but someone with a 99-01 manual will have to tell you what they are for yours. Of course, they might be listed on here somewhere. Everything else is...

Good luck!

Greg
Old 06-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ShowMe Cherokee
I would check the resistance in your switches. It's easy to do, and will tell you if they are working correctly or not. When my 98 was doing this after my install, I checked the switches and discovered the guy had sold me 99 switches instead of 98s as advertised. The correct resistances are listed in the Service Manual. I could tell you what they are for a 98 but someone with a 99-01 manual will have to tell you what they are for yours. Of course, they might be listed on here somewhere. Everything else is...

Good luck!

Greg
I read that somewhere also but the kit I bought is supposedly for a 99-01 and the part numbers for 99, 00 and 01 are the same :/

Thanx SMC. Will try that this weekend. Have to get a tester first.

Can somebody correct me? There isn't a fuse or relay for the CC, correct?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently installed cruise on my 2001..Had the same problem as ShowMe Cherokee...Was sold the wrong buttons...I believe 99-01 ARE the same part numbers....But 98 Jeeps had the same part number except for the last 2 letters....AC instead of AD.....I'd check that first...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Copperhead
I recently installed cruise on my 2001..Had the same problem as ShowMe Cherokee...Was sold the wrong buttons...I believe 99-01 ARE the same part numbers....But 98 Jeeps had the same part number except for the last 2 letters....AC instead of AD.....I'd check that first...
OK..so this is what I see at Rockauto.
Right side switch: Part # DS1204 {#56007530AD} Terminal Type: Pins; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 2;Number of Hose Connectors: 1; Connector Gender: Female

Left Side Switch: Part # DS1205 {#56007531, 56007531AD} Terminal Type: Pins; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Terminals: 2; Connector Gender: Female

as of now i have 2 sets of CC control switches. 1 from (supposedly) a '99-'01
and 1 (newly acquired) used from a '98

If this thing works, looks like a will have an extra CC clock spring for sale!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Member

OK..so the part numbers I have are:
left hand switch: 56007531 39754D
Right hand switch: 56007530 39754D

Are these suppose to be the right ones?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 PM

2001 Jeep parts catalog shows:

56007531AD - Left switch

56007530AD - Right switch

56009437 - Wire that connects the two

These are the OEM numbers...I assume yours are not genuine Mopar parts, so I can't say if they are the right ones.

The part numbers for a 1998 are:

56007531AC - Left switch

56007530AC - Right switch

These are the ones that would NOT work in my 2001.

As you mentioned, everything should just be plug and play...I don't believe you need to have the computer re-flashed. The problem must be with one of the components.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Member

wire connector: 56009437 17778S
Name:  IMAG0369.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  178.5 KB

Left switch: 56007531 39754D
Name:  IMAG0368.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  206.4 KB

Right switch:
Name:  IMAG0367.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  186.4 KB

They all have the Chrysler symbol...so I guess they are genuine Mopar?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 PM

My fault...They do appear to be Mopar parts...I just looked at the wrong ones I still have and they show the numbers I listed just as I typed them...however they do show the other part of the number you mentioned...I didn't see that "additional" set of numbers mentioned in the parts manual or when I ordered mine. Not sure what they pertain to.

Yours are different in the fact that the AD doesn't appear right along side the part number, but they do seem to indicate that they are the "AD" parts, which should be the right ones.

If I had to guess I'd say the switch/switches may just be no good. Or the connection wire has a short? I believe if the servo was bad the cruise light would still light up.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm as stumped as you now......
Old 06-21-2012, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Those should be the correct part. You can see the AD in the circle towards the side. That said, they may be defective, which is why you should check the resistance when you get a meter. You can also check the voltage at the servo to see if the problem is there.

You might try putting dielectric grease on all the connections when you make them.

You don't have to reflash the computer, but since you should unhook the battery before screwing with the airbag system, you will probably reset the computer at least.

Good luck!

Greg
Old 06-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ShowMe Cherokee
Those should be the correct part. You can see the AD in the circle towards the side. That said, they may be defective, which is why you should check the resistance when you get a meter. You can also check the voltage at the servo to see if the problem is there.

You might try putting dielectric grease on all the connections when you make them.

You don't have to reflash the computer, but since you should unhook the battery before screwing with the airbag system, you will probably reset the computer at least.

Good luck!

Greg
Originally Posted by Copperhead
Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm as stumped as you now......

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much! You guys have given me more help than you'd think and I really do appreciate it. One other good thing about this is that I will be getting a new "toy" (volt meter)..lol Will check this out and will post an update (if anyone even cares..
Old 06-25-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Any resolution to this? I added CC to my '99, and it worked perfectly for a couple weeks, but suddenly stopped working this weekend? No more dash light, no more nada

Quick Reply: Cruise Control *HELP*